SOFTBALL:Injuries to starting lineup allow freshman to fill void

Jordan Wickstrom

Injuries have been an issue for the Cyclones this season. Health problems have forced some players to step up and play in positions they may not be used to.

Recently, sophomore outfielder Carleigh Berry was sidelined after getting her appendix removed. In her absence, freshman outfielder Bianca Lopez stepped in and filled the starting role left by Berry.

Lopez has taken full advantage of her starting time, batting .333 (11 for 33) in her last 11 games with two doubles, one triple and two runs batted in.

For Lopez, this success could not have come at a better time. After struggling at the plate early in the season, she changed her approach to every at-bat.

“Before, I was kind of struggling, I was thinking too much about what I wasn’t doing,” Lopez said. “Now I’m just focusing on my one at-bat at a time.”

When asked to step in and fill Berry’s spot, Lopez said that she was a little anxious.

“I really wanted to play and [Berry’s injury] gave me the opportunity, so I wasn’t worried that I had to prove something,” Lopez said.

Despite Lopez’s improved hitting, the Cyclones have struggled to get wins in the month of April, losing eight of their 10 games, with six more games remaining this month. With Berry now back in the lineup, however, Iowa State is 2-1.

In her first three games back, Berry has hit .250 (3 for 12) with three runs scored. While Berry has seen some quick success at the plate, she still does not feel up to speed.

“I’m feeling really good, not quite back to game speed yet because I feel kind of slow,” Berry said. “Other than that I feel perfectly fine, I’m not sore.”

Berry also admits that the long time between games made it difficult to adjust back to a live game situation.

“I didn’t do anything for 10 days,” Berry said. “So I didn’t see live pitching since we played Texas Tech. Coming back against Nebraska, I got a hit, but it took me awhile. The pitches before [the hit] was hard for me to adjust. But after a couple at-bats I was feeling pretty good.”

With Berry back in the lineup, it will be up to coach Stacy Gemeinhardt-Cesler to shuffle the lineup and choose between freshman Heidi Kidwell, Lopez and Berry to see who starts in the outfield. Despite the potential problems that could arise, Gemeinhardt-Cesler feels the abundance of solid outfield options is a good problem to have.

“Heidi [Kidwell] is the one who was playing a lot of defense, but now she is hitting only,” Gemeinhardt-Cesler said. “I feel confident that they’re all going to play well, and that is exactly what a coach wants to have competition among their players. Sometimes the best thing is a little bit of pressure to secure a spot.”