Battle royale

Reigning champion of last year’s Battle of the Bands, Keno, is set to play in Old RCA Courtyard on Thursday. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily

Josh Harrell

Ryne Dittmer –

The rules: Four bands enter, one band leaves, as champion. It’s clear, concise and confining.

The fourth annual Battle of the Bands will take place in the old Richardson Court Area’s courtyard from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, as part of the homecoming celebration.

The free show includes the local bands Keno, Jade Lea, Tempest Rose and Tomorrow’s Storm.

Although the bands aim to win the homecoming crown, a different goal will be the focus of the groups: a chance to increase interest in Ames musicians.

“We decided to play Battle of the Bands because we thought it would be a good opportunity to expand our fan base and to play a show in front of all our friends,” said Brian Smith, sophomore in pre-business and drummer for Tomorrow’s Storm.

With music styles from hard rock, alternative rock, and blends of pop and new age, in addition to a self-described schizophrenic style, no musical taste will be left out. Although styles may differ, the idea of building up a solid music base in Ames creates harmony among the groups.

“Many students at ISU don’t think of bands and shows as a form of Friday night entertainment. They aren’t used to that possibility,” said Keith Rollins, senior in art and design and guitarist and vocalist for Jade Lea.

Live bands at local bars aren’t uncommon on weekends, but often the bands are not the major attraction bringing in customers.

“It would be cooler if Ames had a music venue and get to a point where people went out just to see a band,” said Alex Rooney, junior in electrical engineering and guitarist and vocalist for Keno.

For the bands competing Thursday, the event is a chance to begin building stronger local support for and awareness of their sounds.

“We’re mostly trying to get our name out — it doesn’t matter the number of people,” said Adam Hofman, sophomore in pre-business and Keno guitarist.

In Ames, as well as the surrounding Des Moines metro area, numerous opportunities for high quality music without the bank account-draining ticket prices are frequently available.

The general public needs to be encouraged to go out and look for them, the bands’ members said.

“You gotta support local music. All four bands should put on a good show,” Rooney said.

Each band will perform for 30 minutes, which includes set up and take down. For that half hour the groups will have a taste of the big time.

“We all share the rock star dream, of being signed and going on tour with a professionally produced album,” said Justin Whisler, freshman in music and drummer for Tempest Rose. “But until then we’ll just go with the flow.”

After the main event, Midwest band Quietdrive will perform as the headliner of the night’s activities.

Sure, it’s a competition. Yes, there will be a winner. Battle of the Bands promises to be a night celebrating local groups and the drive for success they each share.