Get to know: David Hollander

David Hollander, Associate Professor of History, sits at his desk, on Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2008, in Ross Hall. Professor Hollanders focus is on the economic history of the Greek and Roman civilizations. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

David Hollander

David Hollander, Associate Professor of History, sits at his desk, on Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2008, in Ross Hall. Professor Hollander’s focus is on the economic history of the Greek and Roman civilizations. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Kristin Wheater

David Hollander knows his stuff when it comes to ancient history. He’s a well-liked professor of History 201 (Western Civilization), History 304 (Cultural Heritage of the Ancient World), History 402 (Ancient Greece) and History 403 (Ancient Rome). This seventh-year professor is also a member of the Classical Studies program, which works with the students studying Greek and Latin languages and history.

Full name: David Hollander

Hometown: All over! Hollander was born in Virginia and says he moved around a lot from there.

Family facts: Hollander’s immediate family was born in various places around the world. Hollander’s mother was born in Australia and his sister was born in Egypt.

Spare time: Playing tennis, racquetball and squash. He is also a Chicago Cubs fan — Hollander received his undergraduate degree from the University of Chicago and says that’s where he found his love of Cubs baseball. Hollander also collects and researches rare (and ancient) coins.  

Favorite Ames hangouts: Hollander enjoys going on bike rides with his family in the various Ames parks.

Favorite Ames restaurants: The Spice, Aunt Maude’s, The Café  

Favorite food: Tabouli — a middle-eastern salad containing mint leaves, cracked wheat, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, lemon, etc.

Technology Hollander can’t live without: iPhone

Thing Hollander can’t live without: His books — he enjoys reading for pleasure and continuing to learn about history.

Favorite author: G. Wodehouse, an English author of the 20th century.  

Pet peeves: Cell phones going off in class — and blaring bad pop songs — and bad drivers. Hollander said at times driving in Ames seems worse than in New York.