Swim team opens new season

Anna Hohenstein

The young Cyclone swimming and diving team will have to grow up fast in order to reach their goals. They have 22 freshmen and sophomores and only nine upperclassmen.

Even though the freshmen have had little time in the program, coach Duane Sorenson thinks they have shown the capability to adapt and step up when called upon.

According to senior diver Kali Fryklund, some of the difficulties divers experience in their first years at the collegiate level is adjusting to the two additional board heights — three and 10 meters. Underclassmen also have to learn to fine-tune each dive, having five fewer attempts than in high school.

The race that the Cyclones are the most concerned about heading into the season is the 200 butterfly. Sorenson is hoping that two freshmen recruits, Hannah McCulley and Taylor Vieau will find a groove in that race as they become more experienced.

Despite these weaknesses, the Cyclones see the opportunity to win and are working toward that goal.

ISU swimmers have been using preseason practices to build endurance, swimming more than five miles a day. They have also focused on correcting stroke technique by using underwater videos.

This year the Cyclones are six to seven swimmers deep in every event.

“Our numbers are a strength for scoring in more places versus relying on first places,” said senior captain Fryklund.

If the Cyclones were able to score more swimmers, they could advance in the Big 12 where they finished fifth last season.

“We could have a very good team this year,” Sorenson said. “We hope to push Kansas or Missouri in the Big 12 to take fourth overall.”

The Cyclones are led by three senior captains, breaststroke and individual medley swimmer Marni Benson, diver Kali Fryklund, and sprinter Britt Samuelson. The team has realistic expectations to keep a good record in dual meets with tough competition versus Illinois and Iowa.

The Cyclones will have a chance to debut their talent against the University of Nebraska-Omaha before competing in the Big 12 Relays in late October.

The new freshmen competing against UNO give the team a chance to see them swim under pressure as well a glance at where the team is as a whole.

Last season, Iowa State prevailed over the Division 2 Minnesota State University Mavericks, 122-61, taking home gold medals in seven of the 10 events.

“We are hoping for the same type of experience” Sorenson said.

A win against UNO would boost the confidence in a young team hoping to move its way to the top of the swimming and diving world.