GSB holds justice nominations

Allison Suesse

As the Supreme Court of the Government of the Student Body was filled Wednesday night, one senator raised concerns about the high rate of turnover.

“Every year we have a new court,” Mitch Hayek, graduate student in political science and off-campus senator said.

Hayek added that his concerns had nothing to do with the qualifications of the new associate justices, but rather with the amount of turnover on the court and a lack of experience.

The students’ professors referred them to the chief justice, Corey Becker, junior in political science, who was in charge of soliciting for new additions to the court. He did so by asking Kathleen Waggoner, adjunct assistant professor and adviser to the court, for students she thought would be a good fit. He also took out an advertisement in Ross Hall Rag, the e-mail newsletter for the political science department.

Seating the new associate justices was “an urgent matter from our perspective,” said Daniel Fischer, GSB president and senior in agricultural business. Fischer noted that the application process for the open positions of associate justices was brief — about one week. This was because if a case were raised, the entire Supreme Court would be needed to assist in the judicial process.

Speaker of the Senate and junior in political science Jonathan Turk said GSB will be having “further dialogue” to make the Supreme Court more applicable to the student body.

Brooke Dummermuth, associate justice member and junior in elementary education, said the Supreme Court plans to put together a pamphlet to raise awareness on campus.

The GSB Information Technology committee has plans to update the GSB home page.

They would like to get links up for voting registration, as well as updates on what GSB is doing.

In addition, the IT committee plans to participate in a decision to change the university-wide e-mail service.

A committee is being formed to look into switching the e-mail service, and GSB members are encouraged to participate, said IT director Rick Hanton, senior in aerospace engineering. Members of the committee will be responsible to contact the two potential services, Gmail and Hotmail, in order to weigh the pros and cons of each service.

Sarah Longner, sophomore in mechanical engineering, was seated as the new College of Engineering senator at Wednesday’s meeting.

A bill to purchase laptops for students to rent in the Union was tabled because of a need to clarify the graduate and professional student Senate’s plans and how much money they will allocate.