ISC helps students enjoy the show

The 50th anniversary of Stephens Auditorium was celebrated with other Iowa State history at the Bells of Iowa State Gala Anniversary Concert.

The 50th anniversary of Stephens Auditorium was celebrated with other Iowa State history at the “Bells of Iowa State” Gala Anniversary Concert.

Emily Bishop

If you’re looking for an escape from your everyday routine, consider taking in a show offered by the Performing Arts Series at the Iowa State Center.

The Iowa State Center is doing something new and offering the ISU student ticket savings card as part of its student ticket discounts. The savings card is a punch card that allows students to go to three shows of their choice for $50.

Angela Ossian, director of marketing for the Iowa State Center, said students originally received 50 percent off ticket prices for Performing Arts Series events with the drawback being that it was “a little too general” to know how much you were saving.

During the 2007-2008 season, as part of the student special savings, the Iowa State Center began a new ticket deal of any seat, any show for $20.

After experiencing success with that, Ossian said the Iowa State Center decided “to do something different” and offer a student ticket savings card, which is “more convenient and just as affordable.”

“Each show will only cost you $17 approximately,” Ossian said of the savings card.

Ossian said another push for ticket pricing changes came after seeing a decrease in “past history of student attendance.” Through mini-surveys and focus groups with students, Ossian said they were able to see how students felt about changing ticket prices. “The special student ticket pricing is funded by GSB,” Ossian said.

“We want to encourage students to take advantage of the nationally touring productions we bring to Ames,” Ossian said. “The quality is as good as you’re going to see on Broadway.”

Guidelines for getting the savings card include: Only ISU students can purchase the savings card and you must have your student ID with you. If you lose your card, no refunds are available.

One perk of the savings card is that it allows you and two fellow ISU students to utilize the three punches on a single card to see one show together. “The savings card is good for any three shows between September and May,” Ossian said. Also, when you go to a show you are given the best available seats.

Booking shows at Stephens

The process of planning the Performing Arts Series at the Iowa State Center requires planning ahead.

Mark North, executive director of the Iowa State Center, said, “The programming efforts [begin] a year in advance.” North travels each fall to the Midwest Arts Conference to talk to agents and explore programs of interest for the series.

Every genre is explored — from musical theater to plays to dance.

North then compiles the information from the conference and a Performing Arts Council meeting is held to discuss options with students.

By mid-March, North said the Iowa State Center aims to have the series finalized and the pricing strategy completed at the end of April. Making sure performance dates do not conflict with graduation ceremonies and performances by the music department is another challenge.

Where to find ISU student ticket savings card:

Savings cards can be purchased at the ticket office at Stephens Auditorium, and the money can be charged to your U-Bill. Check, debit, credit and cash are also accepted. An order form can also be downloaded online on the Iowa State Center’s Web site.

2008-2009 Performing Arts Series: 

Sweeney Todd, September 24 at 7:30 p.m.

An alternative take on traditional musical fare, “Sweeney Todd” is a dark tale of “the demon barber of Fleet Street” who slits his victims’ throats with a razor and makes meat pies from them. It made its first appearance on Broadway in the 1970s, with a return to Broadway in 2005 and most recently to cinema with Johnny Depp as the barber.

Vanguard Jazz Orchestra, November 2 at 7:30 p.m.

For jazz enthusiasts, take a look at the Grammy-winning Vanguard Jazz orchestra.

Movin’ Out, November 6 at 7:30 p.m.

“Movin’ Out” pairs the songs of Billy Joel with choreography by Twyla Tharp to tell the tale of a group of friends through two decades. Ames residents may recognize a familiar name in the cast. Ames high school graduate Marc Heitzman will be performing in the musical, Ossian said.

Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra, November 9 at 7:30 p.m.

For music lovers of the baroque to contemporary time periods, consider attending the Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra. 

Lori Line & her Pop Chamber Orchestra, November 23 at 3 p.m.

Lorie Line is a frequent guest of the Performing Arts Series — this will be her 15th return to Ames. Line’s show is a holiday favorite, Ossian said, this year celebrating the winter holiday season around the world.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, December 3 at 7:30 p.m.

A comedy that captures the adventures of two con men in the affluent French Riviera. “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” is based on the 1980s movie of the same name.

A Skaggs Family Christmas, December 18 at 7:30 p.m.

North said “lovers of blue grass” will especially enjoy the music of musician Ricky Skaggs, featuring his family members, just in time for the Christmas holiday.

Goodnight Moon/The Runaway Bunny, January 25 at 3 p.m.

Perhaps you read “Goodnight Moon” or “The Runaway Bunny” during your childhood. Although the stories are aimed at a younger audience, you could take a younger sibling and experience the books as they come to life onstage. 

The Peking Acrobats, February 8 at 3 p.m.

Musicals and plays aren’t the only options at Stephens. China’s Peking Acrobats provide a change of pace from musicals and plays with their daring acrobatic skills.

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, February 13 at 7:30 p.m.

This musical centered around a spelling bee is a coming of age story about spelling bee participants and their parents.

To Kill a Mockingbird, February 20 at 7:30 p.m.

The classic book “To Kill a Mockingbird” takes center stage for the Montana Repertory Theatre’s production of the enduring story racism and morality.

Blue Note Records 70th Anniversary — On Tour, March 27 at 7:30 p.m.

For jazz lovers, North recommends attending the Blue Note Records concert featuring “an all-star jazz band.” The concert is part of a tour for the record company, Blue Note Records, which is celebrating its 70th anniversary.

The Drowsy Chaperone, April 9 at 7:30 p.m.

This Broadway musical, “The Drowsy Chaperone,” is unique because it is a musical within a musical, North said.

STOMP, April 14-15 at 7:30 p.m.

STOMP’s creativity and high energy paired with their incorporation of household items as percussion instruments provide a performance ideal for all ages, Ossian said. “It’s been here before and it’s done really well,” she said.

Australian Chamber Orchestra, May 1 at 7:30 p.m.

If you are unfamiliar with stringed instruments and orchestra concerts, Ossian said the Australian Chamber Orchestra would be a good introduction. The orchestra is made up of young adults who appeal to college students.

Information provided by the Iowa State Center and www.center.iastate.edu/index.asp.