Commitments from new athletic recruits trickling in

Jason Mcdonnell

Although the 2008 seasons have not started, many coaches around the country are already out recruiting for the following season.

The ISU football team, as well as both men’s and women’s basketball teams, have a list of recruits they are attempting to bring in for the 2009 season. The Cyclones have a handful of high school preps looking to take their game to the next level.

Football

The only football commitment the Cyclones have received for 2009 is a verbal commitment from offensive lineman Kyle Lichtenberg.

Lichtenberg is an offensive tackle from Bettendorf, who is listed at 6 feet, 6 inches and 245 pounds. ESPN.com rates him as a 77 grade – out of 100 – and calls him a very athletic offensive linemen with good feet and agility.

Scout.com lists several other big-name players showing interest in Iowa State, though.

Darius Reynolds, a 6-foot-4-inch, 190-pound quarterback from Reedley Junior College in California, is a five-star recruit who lists Iowa State as one of his possible choices. He has five other schools interested in recruiting him.

Sioux City native Brandon Wegher is an explosive running back who has sparked a lot of interest from the Cyclones. The 5-foot-11-inch, 187-pound back plays for Bishop Heelan Catholic and led his team to the class 3A State Championship game last year. Scout.com lists him as a four-star recruit.

Other four-star recruits who are interested in Iowa State, according to Scout.com, include running back Knile Davis of Missouri City, Texas, and two junior college players, linebacker Justin Hickman, College of Dupage, and defensive end Delano Johnson, College of the Sequoias.

Men’s Basketball

The biggest name for the men’s team is Rodney Williams from New Hope, Minnesota. Williams plays for Robbinsdale Cooper High School and has a 6-foot-7-inch, 185-pound frame. ESPN.com lists him as an 85 grade and the No. 10 small forward in the country.

Women’s Basketball

For the Cyclone women, two verbal commitments have already been given by two Iowa natives.

Amanda Zimmerman of Ballard Community High School and Chelsea Poppens from Aplington-Parkersburg High School look to add more to the Cyclone lineup in 2009.

Zimmerman, a 6-foot-2-inch forward, is strong in the paint and already has a college body, according to ESPN.com. She is listed as an 82 grade and ranked No. 25 in the country at her position.

Poppens is also a 6-foot-2-inch forward and is listed as a 72 grade. ESPN.com ranks her at No. 32 at her position.

As the year goes on, more recruits will be making their decisions on where they will pursue their college careers.