Avoiding distractions from studying

David Merrill

Piles of books, endless stacks of scribbled-on papers and random pens and highlighters lying around – these are the signs that finals are here.

The school supplies aren’t the only things surrounding someone studying – there are a lot of distractions, too. These include the TV, video game systems, the Internet and cell phones.

Craig Chatriand, program coordinator for the Dean of Students Office, said cell phones and social networking sites such as Facebook are students’ biggest distractions.

“It will definitely help if students can disconnect from those things while studying, because those are major distractions,” Chatriand said. “This will take a good amount of self-discipline.”

Chatriand said another big problem that gets in the way of studying is students’ own nerves.

“Students get into a panic or a cramp mentality, which causes them to sometimes want to change their study habits because the tests weigh more in some cases,” Chatriand said.

This time of year can create distractions such as packing up your room and getting ready to move out, but learning how to manage your time effectively will help you balance your priorities, Chatriand said.

To help do this, Chatriand suggested that buying a planner and writing down everything will help you schedule specific times to do those things and stick to them.

Where students study is another key part of studying successfully.

“If you have a place where it has been effective for you to study all semester, then I would stick to that place – use the same type of environment,” Chatriand said. “Also, for students living in the resident halls, there are study rooms you can go to. When the weather is nice, studying on Central Campus is another good option. Try to find a place where you are as free from any distractions as possible.”

Nitin Jagwani, freshman in mechanical engineering, has found places that are comfortable for him.

“I go to the library and the Black Engineering Building,” Jagwani said. “I feel my neighbors will distract me; sometimes they do – they come in my room and force me to hang out, like go eat dinner or something.”

Prateek Bhatnagar, freshman in computer engineering, takes advantage of having his own room in the residence hall.

“I don’t have a roommate, so I don’t have that many distractions to deal with – most of the guys on my floor are pretty good about keeping to themselves,” Bhatnagar said.

Both Jagwani and Bhatnagar have found methods to help them avoid distraction.

Jagwani reviews the material discussed in lecture for an hour afterward to help it sink in. Bhatnagar takes advantage of the help offered by teaching assistants.

“I go to the TAs because they will help me by going over what was discussed in lecture again and help me understand it better,” Bhatnagar said. “It’s like a personal help session.”