The hot bed

Madison Mayberry

As summer approaches, people prepare to hit the tanning beds despite the increased risk of skin cancer and premature aging they bring.

Beth Bonnichsen, employee at Electric Beach Tanning Center, 131 Welch Ave., said her shop gets busier as spring break approaches.

“It’s busiest right before spring break each year because it’s a college town,” Bonnichsen said. “And since people don’t want to burn, they all come and tan. Around February and March, it gets busy every day.”

The Food and Drug Administration said tanning bed use has doubled over the past decade, and the demographics of the typical tanner have changed as well.

In the past, most of the skin cancer cases reported by dermatologists were found in women in their 40s. Today, however, dermatologists are seeing more and more skin cancer cases in teens and those in their 20s.

The power of the bulbs in tanning beds is one reason skin cancer rates are increasing. The amount of UV light emitted by a tanning bed is often much greater than that received from the sun, even in places near the equator. In fact, the International Journal of Cancer says using a tanning bed before the age of 35 increases the risk of developing a melanoma by 75 percent.

College students are among those who use tanning beds the most. A lack of natural sunlight during winter months and the cold climate are reasons many students head to tanning beds.

Rebecca Hinshaw, senior in microbiology, said there are some benefits to tanning, but remains unsure about tanning bed usage.

“I’m on the fence about it, so I try to do it a healthy amount because Vitamin D deficiency is also a problem, especially in the winter in Iowa,” Hinshaw said.

Bonnichsen said more men come in to tan than people may think.

“It’s actually pretty equal, and our manager keeps statistics on it – 52 percent who come in are girls and 48 percent are guys,” Bonnichsen said.

Guys who choose not to tan, such as Peter Renzo, freshman in pre-business, do so in part because of the stigma associated with tanning.

“There are a few guys from my school that did tan, but most of the ones that did it on a regular basis were looked at as a little more feminine,” Renzo said.

An exception to the rule, Renzo said, may be special events.

“A lot of guys did tan before big events like prom or dances, which was seen as more acceptable,” Renzo said.

Anthony Diaz, freshman in pre-business, gave another perspective.

“I have tanned before, but I am not crazy about it,” Diaz said. “It’s expensive, and I would rather be outside.”