Experts chime in on what makes us happy

Madison Mayberry

For decades, psychologists have tried to determine what makes people happy. Now psychologists are beginning to see how genetics, in addition to outside factors, may be linked to happiness.

An “American Psychologist” article said that, despite increasing material wealth and standards of living, the amount of happiness reported by Americans has remained constant over the past century, leading researchers to delve deeper into finding the secret to happiness.

“We are bad at estimating what will make us happier,” said Susan Cross, associate professor of psychology. “After some point, money doesn’t make us happier,”

A common notion about happiness is that it is entirely linked to attitude. Although attitude and outside factors do play an important role in happiness levels, it is not the only factor Cross said.

“People have a set point for weight, as well as happiness,” Cross said.

Researchers are now saying that genetics may account for about half of a person’s cheer level. Findings like this are helping to explain why some individuals seem to bounce back more quickly than others after hard times and manage to see the positives in every situation.

Changes in lifestyle, schedules and the fast-paced nature of college often bring about increased stress levels and take a toll on students’ overall happiness levels. Cross, however, said ISU students appear to be fairly content.

“On a scale from one to ten, students are about a seven,” she said.

She attributes this happiness to Iowa State offering students an “optimum level of challenge and support.”

Cliff Dolbeare, senior in agriculture education, rates his happiness level at a ten.

“Everything is going well. I am happy, engaged and have nothing to complain about,” Dolbeare said. “Life in general is just good.”

Five steps to happiness

Although happiness may be half genetic, there are many things that can be done to impact the other 50 percent. Susan Cross, associate professor of psychology, listed five factors for students to reflect on if they find themselves unhappy and want to improve their overall cheer level.

1. Exercise

Exercise releases endorphins, creating a feeling of euphoria. In addition, people who exercise feel better about themselves and their bodies.

2. Positive thinking

The happiest people are those that focus on what they have, not what they do not have.

3. Social relationships

People who surround themselves with friends and family report higher levels of happiness and satisfaction.

4. Utilize your talents

Whether it be work or hobbies, it is important to find activities that utilize your gifts.

5. Religion

People who actively participate in religious organizations tend to be happier than those who do not.