“Why we wait”

Madison Mayberry

For a lot of students, having sex is a rite of passage and part of their college experience. But some decide to save sex for marriage.

Last year the government spent over $200 million to promote abstinence among teens and young adults, but it appears as if those actually practicing it are in the minority.

According to Public Health Reports, which compiled information about premarital sex trends from 1954-2002, fewer unmarried individuals are saving themselves for marriage today than in the past.

According to their 2002 survey results, 77 percent of those surveyed had had premarital sex by age 20. The mean age of marriage in the United States has continued to increase, as well, with many people choosing to establish careers and gain life experience before getting married.

Many religions, including Christianity, preach a doctrine supporting abstinence.

Pastor Paul Sabino, family ministry director at the evangelical Cornerstone Church, 56289 U.S. Highway 30, thinks saving sex until marriage leads to greater satisfaction in the long run.

“My desire is that my children have the most long-lasting, enjoyable sexual expression that God has created for them,” Sabino said. “It’s clear from the scriptures that the context that God has created for that expression is the context of marriage. One man, one woman, one lifetime.”

Although some view Christianity as something that deprives individuals of fun and enjoyment, Sabino sees it in a different light.

“I have been around college students for along time, since I was one fourteen years ago,” he said. “I have never met a person who saved themselves for marriage and had one hint of regret, and I have never met one person who was in a relationship, gave themselves to someone, the relationship didn’t work out and not have shame and regret.”

While statistics shed some light on the prevalence of abstinence today, the voices of students paint a picture of what abstinence looks like at Iowa State.

Robyn Wendorff, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production and marketing, believes the practicing of abstinence may be heavily influenced by geographic location.

“I just think it depends on where you grew up,” Wendorff said. “If you grew up in a small town in Iowa, obviously you are going to be more pure because church is a big thing, and in the city you are around so many different people, morals and values – whereas if you grew up in a small town, beliefs are more similar.”

Lydia Lowry, junior in animal science, said her decision to wait until marriage goes much deeper than that.

“I would say the main reason I [choose to wait] is because it is how God designed things,” Lowry said. “I know it is what is best for me and I trust him.”

Although she believes in waiting until she is married to have sex, she thinks there is pressure on her not to.

“It’s hard in this culture to have a mindset that’s different than the world when it’s everywhere around you, but I can consciously make the choice not [to have sex],” Lowry said.

Others at Iowa State choose to wait for reasons unrelated to religion.

Bret Seelman, sophomore in landscape architecture, said his decision is about love and finding the right person. Since he has never been in love, he is choosing to wait.

“It’s more about love than marriage, I think, but I don’t look down upon people if they do have sex,” he said.