GSB to resolve ‘the big picture’ of student fees

Rebecca Carton

The Government of the Student Body will focus on the big picture on Wednesday.

GSB President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, said one of the primary issues the Senate will settle on the floor is the account allocations bill.

This piece of legislation is often referred to as the “big picture bill” within GSB because it shows how next year’s student fees will be placed into GSB spending accounts.

“It takes our estimated student fee revenue from next fiscal year and moves it into all of these accounts,” he said.

Of the estimated $1.63 million in student fee money that goes through GSB, $1,329,251.41 will be earmarked for the regular allocations account.

Other bills to be settled involve ratifying contracts with organizations and funding the ISU Weight Club and the Instructional Technology Center, which maintains media and audiovisual equipment for checkout to all enrolled ISU students.

Another task on the agenda is the ratification of an agreement between Student Disability Resources and GSB.

Phillips said GSB often makes agreements with Student Disability Resources to fund equipment that may be needed by a student organization.

“If a student organization has a deaf student, we’ll purchase closed-caption audio tapes or things like that,” he said.

GSB Finance Director Ryan Myers, graduate student in accounting, said the agreement would outline the appropriate expenses that GSB would cover to “assist students with disabilities to participate in a student organization.” GSB is also scheduled to resolve a bill that would ratify an agreement with the International Student Council’s airport shuttle to Des Moines International Airport to bring students to and return them from campus each semester.

Phillips said the agreement between the ISC and GSB has been a “yearly discussion,” but the current bill outlines a sufficient agreement. “We’ve finally worked out an agreement that I think is pretty reasonable,” he said.

Myers said the agreement “closes some loopholes” and adds standards for reporting in order to keep better track of how and when ISC is transporting students.

“For a while, they’ve taken their own personal cars or university cars to the airport,” he said.

Phillips said that, with the agreement, the ISC would also be required to pick up any U.S. students at the airport if there was room available.

GSB will also resolve a bill requesting funding for the ITC Media Equipment Committee. The bill requests funding for a public address system upgrade and replacement, digital cameras and lenses, an LCD video projector, digital video camcorders and audio recorders, and projection screens, at a total cost of $28,500.Phillips said the equipment would be made available to all students.

A bill allocating $4,799 from the capital projects account to the ISU Weight Club is also set to be resolved. The funding would help to purchase new equipment for the club, including a leg press, a monolift, chains and bands.

An in-house bill to be resolved requests that all legislation be accurately titled.

Another bill requests that an account within GSB be cleared for better monetary tracking for the next year. The bill would transfer $3,724.66 from the accommodation fund to the capital projects account.

A bill that was postponed from last week’s meeting involving changing the bylaws of GSB in order to speed up legislation will also be resolved.

The Senate will likely also pass a resolution stating that the students of ISU celebrate the 150th anniversary of the university.