GSB considers money shuffle to fulfill funding requests

Rebecca Carton

At Wednesday’s GSB Senate meeting, $80,000 worth of funding requests will be considered.

GSB, however, has only approximately $50,000 in its capital projects account left to allocate.

GSB Finance Director Ryan Myers, graduate student in accounting, may have found a way to help address the problem, however. The vehicle administration account has a balance of $20,000 – a surplus from the sale of GSB-owned cars.

Transferring that money to the capital projects account could go a long way toward easing the current financial tension.

“We haven’t put any money in it since then. It’s a big surplus that’s not student fees that we’re just waiting to invest,” he said. “This would give the Senate and new GSB members the ability to spend that money.”

Although the transfer could provide the needed windfall, Myers thinks senators should try to cut back on financial requests as much as possible to conform to the budget.

“I think it would be a bad idea to use it, but procedurally it needed to be up,” he said. “The money we have got from the sale has accumulated. It doesn’t seem equitable.”

Along with the account changes, a somewhat controversial bill involving the future of GSB’s webmaster position will be resolved. If passed, the bill would deem the webmaster an employee rather than simply a member of the organization.

Senator Tom Danielson, senior in civil engineering, thinks because the webmaster doesn’t regularly attend Senate and Cabinet meetings, the webmaster should be considered an employee of the organization.

“Essentially, we made the webmaster an employee position, not a member. Their work was not doing much in the way of Cabinet and Senate, so we felt it was appropriate to make it an employee position,” he said.

Other in-house bills to be resolved involve updating bylaws which outline senators’ responsibilities and non-criteria items for college and residency councils.

Two bills focusing on the role of GSB’s vice president will also be resolved Wednesday. One bill requests changes to the bylaws which would more specifically outline the duties of the vice president.

The second bill focuses on the benefits of the position and the compensation the individual who holds the office will receive.

Senator Taleen Brady, senior in psychology, said she feels the bylaws are “not outlined very well.”

They currently state that the vice president serves as the chairperson for Senate meetings and keeps track of absences. In practice, she said, the duties of the vice president go beyond that and should be better defined in the organization’s bylaws.

The second bill requests that the individual holding the position be offered half the current total compensation, scholarship and stipend. Currently, the vice president receives full tuition and half room and board.

“I’ve been asking for other input, [and] that was the number I thought was fair,” Brady said. “We need to analyze the position.”

Along with the in-house bills which will likely receive debate, the Senate will lend its time to a slew of important finance-related bills.

Purchasing new chairs for the Student Office Spaces in the Memorial Union, funding furniture for the MU Terrace and allocating $7,500 toward new lighting on the east side of the MU are all issues set to be resolved through legislation.

Also, a bill requesting $2,000 from the capital projects account to Facilities, Planning and Management, for the rerouting of roof run-off to Lake LaVerne will be considered.

Another bill requesting bylaw revisions will change GSB’s finance rules. Myers said members of GSB already know about the changes, which involve student organization dues and profits.