Regular allocations fund gets a boost from GSB

Rebecca Carton

The Government of the Student Body passed a bill Wednesday transferring money to increase the size of its regular allocations fund.

During the two-hour meeting, GSB voted to put an amount of money from the capital projects account toward regular allocations. GSB gives more than 75 percent of the student activity fee back to students through regular allocations.

Ryan Myers, GSB finance director and graduate student in accounting,said that of a total of $1.5 million in funds, $1.2 million is in the capital projects account, which is larger than normal.

“It’s overwhelmingly our biggest period,” he said. “We’re going to take money from there, which is just kind of where we put excess money, and that’s much higher than it usually is.”

Myers said the money taken from the capital projects account will be put back into regular allocations so student organizations can benefit.

“We’re going to take $30,000 from there [the capital projects account] and put it toward regular allocations,” he said.

GSB also focused on upcoming elections. Brian Phillips, GSB president and senior in political science,said the bill addressing apportionment was important for the upcoming elections.

“Apportionment needed to get done so that we could have the right number of people running for elections and the right number of seats listed for people who are going to be running,” he said.

Although the resolution of student fees and goals for the lacrosse teams were major proposals, Phillips said the meeting dealt mostly with administrative matters.

“We did some administrative stuff to basically to close up some business we’ve had going on for quite some time with the vehicle administration account and with some other accounts, but it was mostly just kind of internal business,” he said.

The meeting was kept short due to the absence of controversial proposals, but Phillips said next week’s meeting, which will focus on supporting the recreation renovation, could be lengthy.

“Next week is going to be an interesting one,” Phillips said. “We’ve got quite a few really heavy topics, and I think we’re probably going to be going into 1 or 2 o’clock in the morning territory.”

GSB also voted to support the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams by voting to spend $600 to buy new goals.