Men seek first Big 12 road win

Elliott Fifer

When the Cyclones head to Norman, Okla., for Wednesday night’s game against the Sooners, they will try to do something they have been unable to all season long – win a Big 12 game on the road.

Entering the matchup with an 0-4 conference road record, Iowa State (13-11, 3-6 Big 12) will get its fifth shot against Oklahoma (15-8, 3-5) in the hope of staying in the middle of the pack in the conference standings.

Currently, Iowa State is tied for ninth in the Big 12 with Missouri. With a win, the Cyclones could climb as high as sixth, but a loss could take them as low as eleventh place. Following back-to-back home wins in mid-January, the Cyclones have dropped five of their last six games, in large part due to cold shooting.

“We have some guys right now that are struggling shooting the basketball, and I think they need a shot in the arm of confidence more than they need anything else,” coach Greg McDermott said. “We’ll try to infuse some of that this week in practice.”

Freshman Craig Brackins has had a dismal last two games, scoring just five points on 2-of-15 shooting in contests against Texas A&M and Texas. McDermott said that, although Brackins is struggling to score right now, he needs the youngster to contribute in any way he can in order for the team to be successful.

“Young players especially, they judge their worth by if they’re scoring points or not,” McDermott said. “Rahshon Clark had a period of time last year when he wasn’t scoring as much and he didn’t defend as well as he needed to.

“Now he understands how valuable he is to the team with what he does defensively and rebounding. Craig doesn’t understand that yet. When he scores, he plays better in other areas of the game. In some ways, every freshman goes through it, but you hope it doesn’t last very long.”

On Wednesday, Brackins’ defensive and rebounding contributions will be vital to the Cyclones’ success. Oklahoma boasts a pair of forwards in brothers Blake and Taylor Griffin that have posed problems for most opponents all season, combining to score 21.9 points and grab 13.2 rebounds a game.

Blake, a freshman and the taller and stronger of the two at 6 feet 10 inches and 245 pounds, has McDermott both impressed and concerned.

“He’s really, really talented. His combination of size, strength and skill – outside of [Kansas State’s Michael] Beasley there can’t be a better freshman in the country from a front-line standpoint,” McDermott said.

He added that Oklahoma’s offense typically runs through Blake and that Iowa State’s post players will need to find a way to help guard him.

“He’s just so physical and he plays with such tenacity that he’s a hard guard. There have been teams that have players much stronger than what we have that have attempted to guard him one-on-one without much success. We have to come up with a plan to try to provide a little bit of help.”

Sooners center Longar Longar is questionable for Wednesday’s game after suffering a broken bone against Texas A&M less than two weeks ago. Despite his injury, McDermott said he will prepare his team for the possibility that the 6-foot-11-inch Longar, who averages 13.2 points per game, will be in the lineup.

“They’re obviously a much better team when they have Longar Longar and Blake Griffin in the lineup, and that’s what we’re anticipating we’ll see on Wednesday,” McDermott said.

Iowa State at Oklahoma

At Norman, Okla.

Tonight at 7 p.m. on ABC/WOI

Notes: Iowa State has yet to win a road game in conference play this year and an 0-4 Big 12 record. Oklahoma is 10-3 at home this season, including 2-2 in Big 12 games. They are led by freshman Blake Griffin, who is averaging 15.0 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. Longar Longar, Oklahoma’s 6-foot-11 center, will likely miss the game due to a broken bone in his lower right leg. He is the Sooners’ second-leading scorer and rebounder at 13.2 points and 5.9 boards per game. OU has dropped three straight games.