Cyclones face new rivalry on the mats against 11th-ranked Tigers

Luke Plansky

The Missouri wrestling team wasn’t a match for Iowa State for 75 years.

From 1928 to 2003, the Tigers lost 38 straight duals to the Cyclones. Only three of those meets were decided by fewer than six points.

But in the past five years, Iowa State and Missouri have split their dual series, with three wins each. Under the direction of Missouri head coach Brian Smith, the Tigers have gone from Big 12 bottom-dweller to national contender. Iowa State head coach Cael Sanderson now sees the Tigers as a legitimate rival.

The seventh-ranked Cyclones (14-4, 1-1 Big 12) will host 11th-ranked Missouri on Sunday afternoon in Hilton Coliseum.

“We’re both trying to do the same things as a program,” Sanderson said. “What Brian Smith has done at Missouri is amazing. My first couple years as an athlete, they weren’t very good at all, and now they are one of the top teams in the country. To do that in that short span is impressive . It’s great for the wrestling world, it’s great for the Big 12, and I expect them to just keep going.”

Sunday’s chapter of the budding rivalry is highlighted by the third meeting of two young rivals. Undefeated No. 1-ranked ISU sophomore Jake Varner (184 pounds) lost two close matches last season to Missouri’s fifth-ranked junior Raymond Jordan (21-1), including a 4-3 battle in the finals of the Big 12 Tournament. Varner (21-0) said he thinks the match will be fun.

“[Jordan]’s tough. We’ve had some tough battles in the past,” Varner said. “. I just go out there like it’s any other match, wrestle the same, and whatever happens, happens.”

Jordan is shorter than Varner – who is 6 feet 1 inch tall – but has a stockier build. Sanderson said the Tiger likes to score off his opponent’s mistakes and that Varner “just kind of walked into a shot” in their last two meetings.

The match between the two defensive-minded wrestlers is generally expected to be low-scoring, but Sanderson said he thinks Varner can break through Jordan’s defense.

“It depends on Jake,” Sanderson said. “If he goes out there and tries to open it up, I believe he can. Like I said, Jordan is a tough guy to put a lot of points on, but I believe Varner can if he decides that’s what he’s going to do.”

Jordan is one of seven ranked wrestlers for the Tigers (9-3, 1-1-1 Big 12). Sophomore Nick Marable (165 pounds) is 19-3 this season and is ranked second, while sophomore Max Askren (197 pounds) is rated sixth.

Askren (19-2) suffered his first loss of his collegiate career in last season’s February dual against then-ISU senior Kurt Backes, who scored a defensive fall over Tiger 11 seconds into the second period, deciding a highly-anticipated dual between the then-second ranked Cyclones and the third-ranked Tigers.

Senior two-time All-American Tyler McCormick (133) is back in the rankings at No. 20 after apparently recovering from a tough midseason injury. Also ranked for the Tigers are 15th-ranked senior Josh Wagner (149 pounds), 15th-ranked junior Michael Chandler (157 pounds) and 14th-ranked sophomore Mark Ellis (heavyweight).

“It’s definitely a Big 12 rivalry,” said eighth-ranked sophomore Cyler Sanderson. “We’re both competing for that Big 12 Championship. They’re a great team, and they have a lot of great competitors and it’s going to be fun wrestling them. There should be a lot of great matches, and it should be fun to watch.”