Barjche: Celebrating 150 years of dance

Jennifer Straub

For the past 64 years, Iowa State students have been entertaining audiences with the art of dance through the Orchesis dance company. Their spring performance, Barjche, infuses the choreography of ISU students and guest artists. This year, Barjche will be celebrating 150 years of dance with performances on February 8-10 in Fisher Theatre.

The Orchesis dance company was formed in 1926 and has emerged into a premier modern dance company. Today it is run completely by ISU students and performs various types of dance but stays rooted in a contemporary style. The yearly Barjche show was started in 1944 by three students: Barbara, Jean and Charlotte. By combining their first names, they created Barjche, a tradition that stands strong today.

The show differs from year to year, and this year’s show is dedicated to celebrating 150 years of dance.

“The show is in two acts. The opening piece is hilarious with song, dance and even beat boxing. From there, we back up to the 1800s and start showcasing dance through time,” said Taryn Packheiser, the Orchesis I advisor and a lecturer in kinesiology.

The show includes postmodern, fast-paced tap dancing on boxes, jazz and hip hop dance and 1980s and 1990s music.

“Although there is no direct narrative, the show follows a timeline that everyone can relate to. It is a dance show that entertains and also stirs up conceptual and emotional reactions,” Packheiser said.

Around 30 students have been hard at work since last fall choreographing and learning the routines for this weekend’s shows. The choreography is typically done by students who have taken a dance composition class or by an esteemed guest artist. The guest artist this year, Amanda Raja Nora, from Michigan, choreographed the opening piece titled “The Good Life.” Some of the student choreographers include Timothy Collier, junior in performing arts, and Lacy Elmore, senior in liberal studies.

“I think Barjche offers a unique experience every year and helps me grow as a dancer and performer. Taryn has really pushed us to learn more about modern dance and experience it from all different angles. I enjoy this challenge that Barjche has to offer,” said Meredith Coakley, senior in elementary education and student performer.

The hard work of these students should not go unnoticed. And those who are unaware of what modern dance is should not shy away from coming. By including various types of dance, the show should reach several audiences and offer something for everyone in attendance.

“Get off your butt and go see live art!” Packheiser said. “Seriously, for the cost of a high-end sandwich, you can see live theater and dance that will excite, entertain and be educational. We work and work for several months in order to have three shows over one weekend. I would be awesome to share all of that hard work and have huge audiences to perform to.”