Amendment stirs up Senate debate

Rebecca Carton

Bills thought to be small matters at Wednesdays night’s Government of the Student Body meeting instead created much discussion and debate.

In the meeting, GSB resolved to fund a new antenna, insurance for the Campustown Rail Jam, and an in-house bill involving Rules Committee ballots.

GSB first passed a bill by a vote of 22-0-1 to purchase a new antenna for the Cyclone Amateur Radio Club. The bill stated that GSB will pay the remaining $729.69 to replace the club’s damaged antenna from the Capital Projects Fund.

Most of the antenna’s cost was paid for from the GSB depreciation account. Taleen Brady, GSB senator and senior in psychology, said the bill was self- explanatory.

“We have an account to depreciate items. They have an item that wasn’t able to be fully replaced by this,” Brady said.

The senate also voted to allocate $530 from the Senate discretionary account for insurance for the ISU Ski and Snowboard Rail Jam on March 1. The amount was significantly lower than the expected $2,000 which would cover general liability insurance to cover both spectators and participants.

A third bill, which caused some controversy within the Senate, involved constitutional amendments to the next ballot for the Rules Committee. Addressing worries that voters may grow weary of multiple questions on the ballot, the bill asked for a combination of four questions on the ballot. The bill eventually passed by a vote 19-4 after some debate.

Senator Charles Wakefield urged a ‘no’ vote on the bill, saying he feared it would cause a “major change” to the ballot and deny students choices.

“I really do think that changing the composition of Rules Committee from the constitution to the bylaws is a major change,” he said.

Ryan Myers, GSB finance director and graduate student in accounting, said that the change on the ballots would not be substantial.

“People will just get sick of it and just vote ‘no’ on the last one,” he said. “Nothing changes our procedures. This is already what we do.”

Another controversial bill involved moving money allotted to a budget for Sankalp, a student organization, in order to fund an ethnic food event.

The bill was referred to the Finance Committee after many senators voiced their concern and confusion.

Brady said she felt she could not vote on the bill because she didn’t think she knew enough about it to make an informed decision. GSB President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, said the bill almost allows the organization to “backdoor the budget.”

“My concern is that it kind of goes around what we place as our principles as good budgeting practices and forethought in what we intend to do for the year,” he said.