GSB Senate gets back on track

Ross Boettcher

“Do your job. If you don’t like something, do something about it.” That was the message that Government of the Student Body Finance Director Ryan Myers, graduate student in accounting, delivered to members of the GSB Senate Wednesday regarding in-house issues.

The message came after a slew of Senate meetings in past weeks that have featured a high volume of bills and heavy agendas in which Senate procedures were bogged down and debates ground to near-stalemates.

Along with Myers, Senator Andrew Boekelman, senior in sociology, said members of GSB need to keep the student body in mind when decisions are on the table.

“It seems like people aren’t doing their homework,” Boekelman said. “We have a certain duty to look into issues that concern students, and I want people to take that seriously.”

A new item on GSB’s agenda that drew a bit of controversy Wednesday was the waiving of a second read for a bill to provide funding for a Winterfest GSB Ice Skating Night. While the bill was ultimately passed, allowing free skate rental and open skate from 10 p.m. until 1 a.m. on Nov. 28, senators disagreed over the frequent use of waiving second reads. As a procedure that is to be used sparingly, members of GSB argued that, in the past, the waiving of a bill’s second read has been used more often on bills pertaining to GSB-funded events.

“I just really think we should hold ourselves to the same standards as other student groups,” said Senator Charles Wakefield, senior in computer engineering.

After the Senate sorted through its 25-page budget, financial budgets were approved for the Handball Club, ISU Weight Club and ISU Triathlon Club.

The ISU Triathlon Club was granted funding for increased equipment after an increase in membership from last school year. A driving factor in the allocation of funds to the multi-dimensional sport was that the population increase in the group was considered an unforeseen expense.