Cyclones make quick work of Dubuque in first exhibition game

Elliott Fifer

Using a balanced scoring attack and tenacious defense, Iowa State put the game away early against Division-III opponent Dubuque on Thursday night at Hilton Coliseum, winning 66-38 in its first exhibition game of the year.

“For us, these games are really about finding out a little bit more about our players,” coach Greg McDermott said of the exhibition nature of the contest. “You only learn so much in practice. We had some guys that I thought performed really well and some guys that made some mistakes that are unacceptable, but that’s what these games are for.”

Nine Cyclone players got at least 15 minutes of playing time, something McDermott said was also due in part to the large lead Iowa State took in the game, at one point leading 61-22.

“I was pleased with the way we started the game and the way we started the second half. Obviously when we got up by 40, I wasn’t interested in burying anyone so we went to our bench,” McDermott said.

The Spartans, whose starting lineup featured 6-foot-5-inch forward Jeremy Weaks as its tallest player, proved no match for the taller and more physical Cyclones.

Iowa State out-rebounded Dubuque 42-35 to go along with eight blocked shots and 13 steals. The Cyclones also shot 7-12 from the arc in the first half, allowing them to open a 40-17 halftime lead they never looked back from. They finished 9-for-18 on the night from behind the 3-point line.

In his first game as a Cyclone, freshman Craig Brackins didn’t take long to make his presence felt. The 6-foot-10-inch forward scored Iowa State’s first 5 points on his first two shot attempts and had two blocked shots in the first four minutes.

McDermott said he liked what he saw from Brackins and expects more big things from the 230-pounder in the future.

“The exciting part is he hasn’t even scratched the surface. He has no idea how good he is,” McDermott said. “His feet are so quick he can change the game defensively. He did some positive things tonight, and I liked the way he started the game.”

Brackins finished with 10 points, six rebounds and a team-high four blocked shots in just 16 minutes.

“I just went up to help my teammates and the ball was there,” Brackins said of his blocks. “I tend to help out on the weak side and back up the guy that’s fronting or playing behind.”

The Cyclones were led by senior Rahshon Clark, who had 12 points and seven rebounds. Sophomore Wesley Johnson had 11 points, and freshman Charles Boozer came off the bench to score 9 points.

At one point in the first half, students in Cyclone Alley could be heard chanting “Free Lucca,” a message aimed at the NCAA after the recent ruling that made freshman Lucca Staiger ineligible for the season because of his involvement in a club team in his native Germany.

Iowa State is back in action Sunday as it takes on EA Sports in its second and final exhibition at 6 p.m. in Hilton Coliseum.