Freshman steps up for Iowa State in big win

Matt Gubbels

With its offense struggling, the ISU volleyball team needed a little bit more energy for its last two matches. That energy came from an unexpected source.

Rachel Williams, who had only seen spot duty in two of Iowa State’s first 20 matches of the season, came off the bench and sparked key runs against the Kansas State Wildcats and contributed to a 3-0 sweep over the winless Colorado Buffaloes Wednesday night.

Coach Christy Johnson said Williams, who hit .500 with three kills and three blocks in her first two matches, is very explosive and competitive, and that has helped in the team’s last two matches.

“She is not very experienced, but the good thing about her is she just fights,” Johnson said. “She just goes up and swings hard – that is kind of what you need sometimes, is someone just to go in and be a little bit fearless.”

Williams is a 6-foot-2-inch freshman who can play outside hitter and middle blocker boosted by her stature and aggressiveness. Williams and fellow freshman Ashley Mass, are likely going to be key players over their next three seasons with the Cyclones – especially with the impending loss of three senior starters after this season.

Williams said her aggressive style is something she developed in high school and hopes to carry into college.

“I love to be aggressive – that is kind of my personality,” Williams said. “I just come in and, right away, figure out what’s going on.”

After the Cyclones’ sluggish game-one start against the Wildcats, Williams helped spark several key runs with her nine kills and two blocks, including three kills in the Cyclones’ 30-20 game-three victory.

Against the Buffaloes, the Cyclones were down 20-18 when Williams entered the game. Iowa State proceeded to go on a 10-1 run, which Williams polished off with a thunderous kill. Williams had two kills and a block during the run, and finished the game with four kills and three blocks while hitting a solid .333.

“I just try to come focused and ready to play,” Williams said. “I try not to think of myself as a freshman – I just think of myself as another player.”

Sophomore setter Kaylee Manns said Williams is the kind of player the team needs sometimes when it is struggling offensively, like it had been.

“Sometimes you just need someone to come in and swing all-out to get your team going,” Manns said. “All the outsides add a different dimension, and she just comes in with no fear and is a really aggressive player.”

Williams adds depth and another strong hitter to the ISU attack, which is something Johnson said every team needs.

“We want to be able to see who is going to be good where and where our depth is and where we have some options,” Johnson said. “We’re trying a few things with Lauren [Cummings] playing in the back row, and Rachel getting a little bit of time.”