Brackins, Petersen lead team to 2-0 start

Elliott Fifer

Still playing without a fully healthy squad, the men’s basketball team was led by its newcomers this weekend, winning its first two regular season games at Hilton Coliseum as part of the Cyclone Challenge.

The Cyclones (2-0) were able to defeat Winston-Salem State (1-1), 58-44, on Friday night, led by freshman Craig Brackins, who became the first rookie to post a double-double in his debut by scoring 13 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.

“There were some jitters out there, but I think we came together and played pretty well,” Brackins said.

After battling nerves in the season opener, Brackins followed up the debut by scoring 16 more points on Saturday against Centenary, earning him tournament MVP honors.

“The jitters were out, the second game felt good, and the fans were great,” he said after Saturday’s game.

In the early stages of Saturday’s championship game, it looked like an ISU blowout was inevitable when the Cyclones took a 25-6 lead midway through the first half.

After 23 ISU turnovers, Centenary (1-1) was able to make a game of it, but the Cyclones won, 67-57. Junior guard Bryan Petersen, who led all scorers with 18 points, said the number of turnovers must be reduced.

“We’ve got to hold ourselves accountable for that because we’re going to play some teams where that’s going to be a big problem,” Petersen said.

Coach Greg McDermott said the excessive turnovers on Saturday are a concern he has for his young team.

Iowa State does not return any guards who have seen significant minutes at the Division I level and is relying on Petersen, Marcus Brister, Diante Garrett and Sean Haluska to split time at the point. Brister, Garrett and Haluska are all freshmen.

“That’s part of being a freshman, but we need them to mature quickly,” McDermott said. “Some of the freshmen just aren’t ready when the heat is on and when the lights are on. We’re really counting on Bryan and Sean.”

McDermott added he was pleased with the way Petersen played on the weekend, scoring his 18 points on Saturday on an efficient six-of-eight shooting.

“Bryan can shoot it. Bryan stepped up at a time that we needed him,” McDermott said. “If we’re going to be successful we’re going to have to make perimeter shots.”

The defense managed to hold Centenary to 37.9 field-goal percentage on Saturday. Iowa State also won the battle on the glass, out-rebounding the Gents 37-23. On Friday, Iowa State grabbed 48 rebounds as a team, its highest total since Dec. 12, 2004.

Senior Jiri Hubalek, who saw his first action of the season in Friday’s contest, grabbed a career-high 13 boards to lead the way. Rahshon Clark added nine rebounds.

Sophomore Wesley Johnson sat out both games this weekend with a sprained ankle. McDermott said it is questionable whether Johnson will be back in the lineup for Wednesday’s game at Bradley.

“I’m doubtful that he’ll practice [Monday]. My guess is that if he does play it’s going to be on one day’s practice,” McDermott said. “He’s certainly not going to be at full speed, and we need to get him back to full speed.”