City Council, GSB to hold open-dialogue meeting

Ross Boettcher

It’s no secret – Ames is a college town in every way, shape and form.

To acknowledge this fact, members of Ames’ local government will welcome the needs of students Wednesday by participating as active members of the Government of the Student Body.

GSB President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, said he feels like the annual meeting with City Council members gives students and GSB members the chance to make their voice heard.

“This gives us an opportunity to tell them directly what some student concerns regarding the city are,” Phillips said.

While student voice is important, members of the city’s government will also have the chance to give feedback to students regarding issues with the city.

“They have the opportunity to explain to us what some of their concerns are with the students and things that they hear,” Phillips said.

Ames Mayor Ann Campbell said she also feels as if it is necessary for both forms of government to put their heads together.

“I think it’s always good for the governing bodies to meet together and get on the same page,” Campbell said. “Knowing what concerns there are is important to us.”

The meeting between GSB and City Council members is an annual event that will look to bring up a number of topics. Campbell said the open forum format has worked well in the past.

“I don’t know about the specific topics, those will be generated by the GSB,” Campbell said. “We haven’t been given any, and historically it’s been open dialogue without an agenda.”

The GSB will welcome City Council members Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union before their official meeting at 7 p.m.

After all is said and done Wednesday night, Campbell said she is confident that both bodies will continue to operate on the same page.

“We’ve been very fortunate in having open lines of communication,” Campbell said. “I feel very good about it.”