GSB to undergo ASSET education

Ross Boettcher

Wednesday night’s GSB meeting will focus on their participation in the Analysis of Social Services Evaluation Team or ASSET.

ASSET works in correlation with a few entities, which include the university itself, United Way, Story County and the City of Ames to create an umbrella to provide essential resources and services.

According to the Ames city government’s Web site, some of the purposes of ASSET are to promote coordination among human services planning and funding among the various organizations that sponsor them.

GSB treasurer Katelyn Verhoef, senior in biochemistry, plays a vital hand in setting ASSET’s priorities in the fall while also keeping the approval process from GSB’s senate in mind. The senators of the GSB vote on and ultimately decide the fate of the proposals.

“The number one priority is that ASSET serves students,” Verhoef said. “The money that ASSET spends is an accumulation from the United Way, Story City, the Department of Human Services, the city of Ames and Iowa State.”

Verhoef said because students fall under at least two of the umbrellas in which the funding for ASSET is provided, they are able to obtain and utilize the biggest benefit from the program.

While ASSET is in charge of helping students, the biggest point on its agenda is to help better the lives of all citizens that fall into the categories of ASSET’s funding.

GSB President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, said student involvement is another part he would like to see improve.

“The problem with student involvement is that regardless of students paying attention we [GSB] are still governing,” Phillips said. “If we don’t get input from the student body we have to go on, all on our own.”

The GSB is currently looking to fill an opening for its director of events position, a position that would have a first-hand influence on numerous social events around campus and directly with GSB.