Special allocations meeting ends with surplus

Ross Boettcher

Monday evening, the Government of the Student Body finance committee achieved what few governmental entities – even our own national government – can do: retain a surplus.

By concluding the senate bill that will request the special allocation of funds to various student organizations, the finance committee allocated $17,602.05 of a possible $20,000 initial budget. This will leave GSB with $2,397.95 that will more than likely be put into the budget for regular allocations in the spring.

Finance Committee Vice Chairman and GSB Senator Thomas Danielson, junior in civil engineering, said he was happy with the way the special allocations budget balanced.

“Just because we have money doesn’t mean we have to spend it,” Danielson said. “I like where we’re at right now. We’ve funded groups that deserve to be funded and we’ve put our foot down where it has been necessary.”

One of the biggest additions Thursday was the budget of Trend magazine. The biannual publication was granted a budget of $4,481.20, a little more than a quarter of the total amount allotted to campus groups.

Zachary Johnson, editor in chief of Trend magazine and sophomore in journalism and mass communication, said the funding provided will be used for the general publication of Trend.

“We feel the topics covered in Trend are issues that aren’t covered in other publications on campus,” Johnson said. “Hopefully we’ll be able to keep producing a good magazine.”

Johnson said the help from students from other universities has helped in the transformation of Trend as a publication overall.

Now that the finance committee has approved the special allocations bill, the power of approval is in the hands of the GSB senate. On Oct. 24, members of the senate will have the opportunity to take a closer look at each individual organization’s budget and give it either a thumbs up or thumbs down.

After being reviewed by GSB senators, the bill will be sent back to the finance committee with comments in regard to what should be changed.

Although surpluses are often looked at with a keen eye, especially when it comes to finances, the finance committee had the difficult decision of what should be done with the leftover funds.

When it came down to making a decision, Danielson made it clear the way he felt.

“I just don’t see the purpose of funding certain aspects when during regular allocations some of these issues would be ruled out,” Danielson said.

As GSB Finance Director Ryan Myers, graduate student in accounting, adjourned Monday’s meeting, it was apparent that the final budget was something the entire committee could agree on.

GSB Treasurer Katelyn Verhoef, senior in biochemistry, didn’t beat around the bush when stating her feelings.

“I honestly feel like we’ve done a good job,” Verhoef said.

GSB Senator Andrew Boekelman, senior in sociology, seconded Verhoef’s feelings.

“I really think this excess money is going to be better served during regular allocations,” Boekelman said.