Phillips gives State of the Student Body

Ross Boettcher

Government of the Student Body President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, delivered his State of the Student Body address at GSB’s weekly meeting on Wednesday.

In addition to the result of the supreme court case being announced at the meeting, Phillips gave his speech.

When Phillips took the podium Wednesday to give his State of the Student Body speech, his feelings were stated clearly.

“I realize now that this [GSB] group has accomplished more already than what I had ever expected,” he said.

Phillips also outlined GSB’s influence on the Memorial Union Board of Directors, Political Action Week, the GSB 101 presentation to incoming freshmen, and its work with the City Council in Campustown programs.

“As we continue to find more ways to better represent students, let’s make ambitious and productive plans, and take on projects that will advance student causes for years to come,” Phillips said.

Along with the statements made by John Gish, GSB supreme justice and senior in political science, and Phillips, Wednesday’s senate meeting also seated two new Inter-Residence Hall Association senators, a new director of events and a new director of freshmen outreach.

Daniel Finnegan, sophomore in aerospace engineering, and Tyler Heeren, freshman in liberal arts and sciences-open option, were both voted into the senate.

Brooks Nelson, senior in public service and administration in agriculture, and Thomas Augustine, freshman in political science, were named director of events and director of freshmen outreach, respectively.