Goalie found passion during early years

Elliott Fifer

Sophomore goalkeeper Ann Gleason had a passion for soccer coursing through her veins long before she arrived on campus last year.

The Stillwater, Minn., native took up the sport when she was 8 years old. She first learned to play by attending her parents’ coed soccer games every Friday night, where she watched the sport and kicked a soccer ball with her brother.

Following her younger years, she made the transition to goalie as a member of a local under-13 travel team.

“I liked the position, and nobody else on the team at the time wanted to play it, so I just fell into that spot in a way. Since then, I’ve rarely played a game as anything other than the goalie,” Gleason said of her switch.

While attending high school in the Stillwater area, Gleason was named a two-time All-State and All-Conference honoree. Now in her second year as ISU goalkeeper, Gleason said she has found the perfect spot as a member of the ISU soccer team.

“The women on the team here are amazing. They were so great on my visits, and they are such hard workers and good people committed to be the best [student-athletes] they can be. I did look into other schools, but they couldn’t compare with what Iowa State had to offer me,” Gleason said. “I believe our team chemistry this year is great. We are a very cohesive unit and we are all working hard each day at practice towards the same goals.

“Our coaches are so dedicated towards those same goals and won’t let us settle for anything less than what they think is our best.”

Gleason has found success early in her Cyclone career; she led the Big 12 in total saves (68) and saves per game (6.8) during her freshman campaign last year. Including nonconference play, Gleason tallied 119 saves, good for the ISU single-season record.

This summer she competed in the W-League with the Minnesota Lightning, an expansion team that plays in the league’s Central Conference. Gleason started nine of the 14 games for the Lightning, allowing only three goals on her way to an undefeated record (7-0-1) that included five shutouts.

“Playing with the Minnesota Lightning this past summer was a fantastic opportunity. The players were highly skilled and the training atmosphere each day was intense and challenging,” Gleason said. “The games gave me some good experience, which helped me become more confident in my playing ability and improved my communication. It was a fun time with a bunch of great girls and a good way to keep my soccer skills sharp.”

Sharp is exactly how ISU soccer coach Rebecca Hornbacher described her performance thus far as the Cyclones’ net minder.

“Right now, Ann is just really sharp. She has had more experience playing with this speed of play than [freshman goalie Ashley Costanzo] has. Right now, Ann is playing very, very well,” Hornbacher said.

Hornbacher said Gleason’s play as a part of the Minnesota Lightning this summer helped her come in ahead of where she was last season.

“Overall, I think she really is commanding the box very well with her presence back there. We really need to see her take charge, and she’s doing that much more this year than last year.”

Gleason will be in the net as the Cyclones (1-0) try to improve on their record Friday when they host the University of Northern Iowa (0-1-1) at 7 p.m. at the ISU Soccer Complex.