Volleyball team falls in 3 games at Texas

Matt Gubbels

Texas beat the ISU volleyball team at their own game Wednesday night in Austin.

Iowa State, which was leading the conference in blocks going into the match, struggled at the net as the seventh-ranked Longhorns broke the Cyclones’ seven-match winning streak in three games (30-20, 30-24, 30-28).

The Cyclones (8-5, 2-1 Big 12) were trying to move to 3-0 in the Big 12 for the first time and defeat their first top-10 team, but just couldn’t get over the top.

Texas (6-3, 2-1) had 58 kills and a sterling hitting average of .357 compared to Iowa State’s 42 kills and .198 hitting percentage.

The Longhorns also outblocked the beleaguered Cyclones, 10-7.

The first game was back-and-forth, but Texas used a 12-4 run to blow the game open and win 30-20.

Texas outblocked the Cyclones 5-0 and hit over .300, while the Cyclones hit .200 points lower, also accumulating five service errors.

Game two was more of the same, as the Cyclones kept the game close but could not get over the top. Texas made several three- and four-point runs to steadily extend its lead.

Iowa State started to get their hitting attack going behind junior outside hitter Mary Bisenius, but it was not enough.

Through the first two games, Texas freshman Juliann Faucette had 15 kills and was hitting .600, but the Cyclones found a way to slow her down in game three, allowing the Cyclones to build a late lead of 24-22.

But Longhorn sophomore standout Destinee Hooker picked up her teammates with three straight kills, spearheading an 8-4 run to close out the match.

Junior outside hitter Mary Bisenius ended up with 11 kills, and senior outside hitter Erin Boeve had 10 of her own to lead the Cyclones.

Freshman libero Ashley Mass led the Cyclones again with 11 digs, and sophomore setter Kaylee Manns had 32 assists.

Iowa State will be back in Hilton Coliseum this weekend, hosting Missouri (7-3, 0-1) at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.