Sophomore midfielder scores first goal with corner kick, encouraging teammates

Tj Rushing

The 28th time was the charm.

Sophomore midfielder Elise Reid had 27 shots on goal as a member of the ISU soccer team before she put her first goal in the net. Friday night she was a catalyst for the Cyclones’ 4-1 win against Northern Iowa, and scored her first two goals as a Cyclone, the first coming from a corner kick at the 31-minute, 26-second mark.

“I just kicked it off the side of my foot, but most the time it’s just luck if you can get a goal directly from a corner kick,” Reid said. “Sometimes you get lucky and the ball goes in, and – I’ll be honest – I was looking for the cross.”

Reid, the 2005 Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year finalist as a senior at Cedar Rapids Kennedy, led the team in shots on goal as an ISU freshman, but had no goals to show for it. After going 0-1 in shots on goal in the Cyclones’ opener against Oakland, Reid broke free with two goals against the Panthers.

Coach Rebecca Hornbacher is predicting a bright rest of the season for the sophomore midfielder.

“‘Open the flood gates’ was honestly the thought that came into my head when she scored her first goal,” Hornbacher said. “She had been playing very well and she’s an extremely talented player, and for her to score is a huge boost for her confidence, and then, obviously, she followed it up with another great one.”

Reid’s second goal busted a 1-1 tie in the 83rd minute of the game, this time scoring just inside the box with a shot into the top-right corner of the net.

Senior captain Brittanie Waddell couldn’t be happier for her younger teammate, and, like her coach, expects more greatness from Reid in the near future.

“I’m so proud of Elise, because last year she tried so hard and it just didn’t come for her,” Waddell said.

“She’s an excellent player and has amazing foot skills. I’m just so proud that she scored two goals this game. We’re excited for what’s going to come next.”

Reid’s goals helped to loosen up the offense and provided confidence for a Cyclone team that had struggles scoring last season.

“Confidence is a big thing right now,” Hornbacher said.

“The players that put the ball in the back of the net especially gained confidence and we want that in our players, and their teammates can build on that too.”