Swedish goaltender expects big things out of himself this spring

Noah Schmelzer

It’s been half-a-year since Cyclone Hockey was removed from the American Collegiate Hockey Association National Tournament. Iowa State was upset 8-5 by No. 7 Lindenwood in what was to be their final game of the season.

Friday night brings a new beginning.

Excitement is high for this year’s Cyclone Hockey, but few could rival the personal expectations of sophomore goaltender Christian Johansson. Embroiled in the middle of the clash of returning talent and rookie enthusiasm, Johansson is out to prove he’s deserving of the starting job.

Johansson split time between the pipes as a freshman with senior Trent Baker.

Baker took the majority of the starts at the end of the season on his way to becoming the Central States Collegiate Hockey League Tournament MVP.

Traveling thousands of miles from his hometown of Gothenburg, Sweden, to play for Iowa State, Johansson wasn’t used to sharing playing time, even with someone as skilled as Baker.

“From a freshman point of view, I had a great season – that’s what everybody told me,” Johansson said. “As a goalie, it’s a little bit different, because you have three or four guys competing for one spot but you always want to start.”

In retrospect, Johansson said he gained perspective on his contribution but still seeks to expand his role on the team. After spending the off-season honing his technique and mental edge, the Swede expects big things of himself this spring.

“Looking at this season, it’s inspiring because we have such a great team,” Johansson said. “I’m going to try to get as many starts as possible and as many wins as I can. I’m going to keep my personal goals to myself, but they are very high and I want to play most of the games.”

Coach Al Murdoch is encouraged by what he’s seen so far this year from his sole returning netminder.

“The success and failure of a team is determined to a large degree by the strength and consistency of the goaltender,” Murdoch said. “I think Christian and the two young freshmen are looking real good for this early in the season.”

The wear and tear players receive playing so many games throughout the season often make it difficult to maintain health and consistency on the ice.

Often playing back-to-back multiple weekends in a row, fatigue can become a constant enemy.

Johansson will be looking for assistance from these two freshmen in that regard, as well as seeing them as motivational tools to help him keep his edge.

“I think it’s great. I’ve been on teams where I know I have been the starter and the other goalies haven’t been that good.” Johansson said. “We have three goalies who are really good out skating in practice and the competition helps. It makes people better; it makes me want to step up and be better.”

Murdoch understands the kind of competitor Johansson is and realizes what he brings to the table, both on and off the ice.

“Christian’s a good guy and I think he’ll help mentor the young guys knowing it’s not easy for one goaltender to do it all,” Murdoch said.

“He will want to do it all, he’ll want to play every minute, but I know he will also be one of their biggest fans when one of the other guys is in the net, and that’s important.”