Parker, Taylor to lead defensive effort

Brett Mcintyre

Lines on both sides of the ball last season suffered from depth issues, injuries and a lack of execution, which led to inconsistent play.

Now, with the start of the 2007 Cyclone campaign on Thursday, two of Iowa State’s most promising players on the defensive line – who had unfortunate setbacks last year – are back on top of the depth chart.

True sophomore Rashawn Parker is listed as the starter at rush end, while senior Kurtis Taylor is on top of the depth chart at the other end spot.

Parker earned a spot as a starter last season and excited fans with two sacks in the home opener, but the true freshman faded as injuries took their toll during the long grind of Big 12 competition.

Taylor, on the other hand, appears poised to break out after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament during fall practice last season and missing all 12 games.

Those two blows to an already thin defensive line were definitely one of coach Gene Chizik’s first concerns while recruiting last winter. But, Chizik said, the problem has been addressed.

“I think that [building depth] has been accomplished somewhat,” Chizik said. “I obviously won’t know for sure until we get into the live rounds coming up here. I think some junior college guys have come in and filled the role we envisioned for them when we recruited them.”

Bryce Braaksma and Athyba Rubin – who made seven and eight starts last season, respectively – are penciled in as starters at the tackle position.

Christopher Lyle is a sophomore transfer from Butler Community College in Kansas and is fighting for a position behind Parker, and Chris Weir has stepped in to back up Braaksma at tackle.

“I think some players that we had question marks on have gotten much better than when we started in April as well,” Chizik said. “Obviously, the more the merrier with depth, but I think we have enough right now that we’re at least content with where we are.”

Both Parker and Taylor seemed to have learned from last season and they are more than ready to apply those lessons to the 2007 football season.

“I started off early on with a couple good games and then getting into Big 12 play, I just think as a freshman I wasn’t physically or mentally ready,” Parker said. “I think this year I’m just trying to work on the little things. I have a year under my belt and some experience. I think I’ll be a lot more comfortable this year knowing what to expect.”

Taylor didn’t let last season’s disappointment hold him down, although he came just weeks from realizing the starting position he’s been fighting for.

“It was tough, but everything happens for a reason,” said Taylor, whose ACL injury occurred on a noncontact play. “There are some things that I can control and some things that I can’t control. With the injury last year, it was a process of patience and knowing my time will come.”

Taylor said he was recovered from his injuries in a little more than four months. He received a medical hardship year and will be eligible in 2008.

“Kurtis had a great camp. I thought he played physical; he played fast,” Chizik said. “The main thing was he stayed healthy. He’s rebounded from his injuries and he had a great spring too and he’s ready to go. I’m really looking forward to seeing Kurtis play.”

Both Taylor and Parker said now is time for the defensive line to perform.

“We know coming in [Taylor and I] have to be the meat of the defensive line,” Parker said.

“We take that personally. We want to win games and it starts up front with us.”