Martial arts professor, classes relocate to Forker Building

Libby Vickers

The ISU Martial Arts Program is leaving its third-floor Beyer Hall location after 33 years and moving across campus to the Forker Building.

Moving the martial arts classes and clubs, as well as the office of Yong Chin Pak, adjunct instructor of kinesiology, to Forker will centralize the department of kinesiology, making better use of space.

“Pak is a member of this department, so for a long time we’ve wanted him better integrated,” said Jerry Thomas, professor and chairman of kinesiology. “We are excited about him being a closer part of our academic community, and having this whole program better integrated.”

Thomas said the effort to increase efficiency follows the university’s Resource Management Model, which aims to allocate funds and resources to where they can have the greatest impact.

“The university is looking to do a more efficient job of managing funding and use of facilities,” Thomas said. “Before, it was not such an issue if you weren’t using all your space, but that has become increasingly important. We want to use the money that’s available as effectively as we can.”

Thomas said Forker has the space to accommodate the program, leaving the Beyer Hall location available for many uses instead of just martial arts.

“[The move] means we’ll get a new multipurpose room. We’ll use [facilities that were] solely for martial arts for group fitness classes and for other student organizations,” said Michael Harvey, director of recreation services. “It should be a good change, particularly for students.”

The martial arts program, which includes physical education classes as well as the judo, karate and hapkido clubs, will also benefit from the change. Thomas said there will be space in the new gym for bleachers to be brought in during smaller competitions, and the many gyms in the building will be available for use for larger competitions. A better floor designed for martial arts rooms is being installed, and a larger storage area is being constructed.

“We are spending a substantial amount to renovate this gym – around $30,000 or $40,000,” Thomas said. “It would be more, but the martial arts clubs are doing lots of the work. We probably couldn’t have done all this without their help.”

Pak said he hopes the transition goes well.

“After over 30 years in the same office and same building, we’ll just need to adjust to the Forker Building and faculty,” Pak said. “But hopefully, these things go well.”