Birth control basics

Karla Walsh

Many college women experience “sticker shock” with cars, handbags and jeans. Soon, ISU women may feel the same shock when it comes to birth control pills.

At the end of 2006, federal legislation changed the policy that allowed oral contraceptive suppliers to give discounts to college health centers. A change in a Medicaid policy, the federal program that assists the poor with health insurance, has also affected Thielen Student Health Center at Iowa State.

“We used to offer about 12 to 20 different brands of birth control pills for 10 to 12 dollars, but now the same products are doubled or tripled in price,” said Greg Yeakel, chief staff pharmacist at the Student Health Center.

College health centers used to be offered preferential pricing since they are nonprofit government entities that only serve the college community. The pill producers used this as an opportunity for marketing. Young women who begin using a product at a young age will likely continue with it as they get older.

“All manufacturers are included; this is not a brand-specific issue,” Yeakel said.

Generic options are available for most contraceptives and work just as well as the original. Few people notice a difference in the way the generic medication affects them, but not most.

At Iowa State, about a third of students pay cash for prescriptions while the other two-thirds have insurance, or are covered through a similar plan, Yeakel said.

The change in rates “wouldn’t make much of a difference for most students unless they were paying for birth control pills with cash so that their parents wouldn’t find out on the insurance bill,” Yeakel said.