Ready! Set! Go!

Karla Walsh

You come full circle when you run a road race. Those who were cheering you on at the beginning of the race will be there to see you stride across the finish line. Circles of all kinds are featured in upcoming area road races, from a race track to some doughnuts.

Many organizations take advantage of the upcoming spring weather by offering a 5K or other races to benefit their cause.

“Spring is a great time for races because it’s just starting to warm up, but it’s not too hot so it’s a perfect temperature for runners,” said Gabriel Wilson, junior in microbiology and president of the Iowa State Runner’s High Club. “Everything is starting to turn green and the flowers begin blooming, which creates great scenery.

Road races can suit ranges of people, from professionals to novices. You can enjoy yourself even if you aren’t the fastest one on the course.

“Running is a very rewarding sport. Races are great simply for the atmosphere and camaraderie,” Wilson said.

Wilson enjoys the novelty of the Triathlon Club’s doughnut run and also often takes part in the SCAVMA (Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association) Scamper and the Drake Relays races.

FYI has compiled some of the races you may want to try before Finals Week. There are many more races happening in the area during this time. For a full listing of upcoming races, check out www.fitnesssports.com/races.apr.html.

SCAVMA Scamper

(5K walk/run and 10K run)

Where: ISU Veterinary Medicine Complex

When: 9 a.m. Saturday

Cost: $20 pays for a T-shirt, refreshments and possible door prizes.

Proceeds go to: “Proceeds of our race go to SCAVMA, the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association,” said Rachel Dragos, junior in veterinary medicine. “This money is used to pay for students to travel to the veterinary symposium each year and to pay for well-known speakers to come to the club’s meetings three times each semester.

What makes this race special: “People can bring their canine companions with them. Actually last year someone also brought their pet goat,” Dragos said. “We get some hardcore racers, but most of our participants come to spend a good time with their families, including their pets.”

Iowa Speedway 8K

(4.97 miles)

Where: Iowa Speedway in Newton

When: 9 a.m. Saturday

Cost: $30, participants receive a T-shirt and postrace refreshments.

Proceeds go to: Skiff Medical Center (a hospital that serves Jasper County and surrounding areas) and the P.I. Foundation, a disability services program.

What makes this race special: The race celebrates the Iowa Speedway, “a great addition to the community and state,” said race coordinator Melissa Butler.

The course travels around the speedway grounds and the finish leads you through the tunnel onto the race track. You finish with one lap on the flat portion of the racing oval.

Doughnut Run 2007

(5K, 3.1 miles)

Where: Brookside Park

When: 9 a.m. Sunday

Cost: $15 before race day, $20 race day. Fee includes a doughnut run glass and all the doughnuts you can eat.

Proceeds go to: The ISU Triathlon Club’s trip to Louisiana for this spring’s national race.

What makes this race special: “We stock our aid stations with Krispy Kreme doughnuts. For every doughnut you eat on the course you have a certain amount of time deducted from your race time when you finish. Participants don’t have to eat doughnuts but most eat at least one,” said Alexander Syhlman, Triathlon Club faculty/staff adviser.

Syhlman said to break the record for doughnuts eaten, participants would need to eat 31 doughnuts during the race. This 5K takes physical strength and some strategy.

“Each person has to weight the time bonus for eating a doughnut, the time it takes to consume the doughnut, how fast they can run with an empty stomach, and how fast they can run with a couple doughnuts in their belly,” Syhlman said.

Envi-Run Earth Day 5K

(3.1 miles)

Where: Ada Hayden Heritage Park

When: 9 a.m. April 21

Cost: $15, $18 on race day. A T-shirt and food after the race is included.

Proceeds go to: City of Ames Department of Parks and Recreation in support of Ada Hayden Heritage Park.

What makes this race special: “It promotes good parks in Ames and raises awareness about the environment and healthy lifestyles,” said Chris Chandler, graduate student in ecology, evolution and organismal biology.

Drake Relays 8K

(4.97 miles) and Half Marathon (13.1 miles)

Where: Drake University

When: 8 a.m. April 28

Cost: $15 for 8K and $20 for Half Marathon. The first 1,500 participants to pick up their packets receive Nike socks; all runners receive T-shirts and refreshments after the race.

What makes this race special: This is Iowa’s oldest major road race, with this year being the 39th anniversary.

“If you like to run races, this is the one,” said Cal Murdock, Drake Relays coordinator. It is on a “beautiful course,” he added.

Big Brothers Big Sisters Big Magic 5K

(3.1 miles)

Where: Mahaska Community Recreational Trail in Oskaloosa

When: 9 a.m. May 5

Cost: $18 before April 15, $20 after April 15, $25 race day. T-shirts are included.

Proceeds go to: Big Brothers Big Sisters organization, providing mentors for children in Ottumwa and Oskaloosa.

What makes this race special: Big Brothers Big Sisters is the oldest and largest youth mentoring program in the country. You can help kids find the guidance they need while improving your health. With a children’s Fun Run before the 5K, you may even meet some children you would like to mentor.

If college racers are interested, “There will be information at the race to match up Iowa State students with younger students in the area, like Ankeny,” said Leslie Sivadge, marketing communications coordinator for Big Brothers Big Sisters.