Wertz to visit Iowa State, share passion

Megan Steenson

For Missouri native Matt Wertz, music has always been a part of his life. Now he’s visiting Iowa State and is ready to share his passion.

“[I] grew up very music-appreciative. I have three sisters and we were always singing. My mom played the guitar and there was always music in the house,” Wertz said.

As a child, Wertz said, his parents had a variety of music in the house. His dad would play oldies and his mom would play albums from artists such as Michael W. Smith or Amy Grant.

When Wertz started choosing his own music, he picked artists such as Jimi Hendrix, R.E.M. or Genesis.

“It was really an eclectic collection . the common bond was really strong musical performances,” he said.

The family’s interest in music stuck with Wertz through college. While attending the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Wertz formed his own band. Not until his senior year did he have the idea to pursue music as a career.

“It started as completely a hobby, it was a pastime. By the time my senior year came around I went out and started promoting myself,” said Wertz.

During this self-promotion, Wertz said, he was able to play at a few youth camps that allowed him to build contacts and keep getting his name out there.

Now, with the recent release of his album “Everything In Between,” Wertz continues to increase his fan base and make a bigger name for himself.

Although stylistically this album is similar to his previous releases, he said, musically “Everything in Between” is something new.

“It’s a little deeper and there’s more thought put into arranging songs. With this album, it really tells a story,” he said.

The story Wertz is talking about is one that hits close to home for him.

He said inspiration for the majority of the album came from a previous relationship, and the album goes through the whole process of the relationship including the breakup and picking up the pieces.

“Personal experience is probably the largest percentage of what I draw from . I feel like I try and write about what I know about and typically that’s personal experiences.”

Wertz’s use of real-life experiences, spirited lyrics and soulful melodies are the main reasons students will want to bear the cold and come out to see him.

His Monday night performance will be Wertz’s first time at the Maintenance Shop, and Rick Snyder, M-Shop programming co-director, said it’s going to be a large crowd.

“I’m expecting a lot of students to go because he is aimed toward a student-age crowd,” Snyder said.

In addition to a large number of ISU students, Snyder expects there to be a number of students from surrounding colleges in attendance.

So what can this crowd expect?

Fans can count on great music and audience involvement; as well as a sold-out show, said Tim Hackbarth, former M-Shop coordinator and senior in marketing.

“It’s really upbeat melodic-type music and he does a lot to get the crowd involved,” he said.

The M-Shop will be selling standing-only tickets and there is a limited number still available. However, it will be selling some at the door, Hackbarth said.

Wertz won’t be the only one reaching out to the crowd Monday night. Opening acts The Alternate Routes and Jon McLaughlin do their own share of involving the fans, Wertz said.

“There’s going to be a lot of great songs, everyone is really focused on writing and delivering great songs. Everyone does great relating to the audience and reaching out to the audience,” he said.