Philanthropy brings warmth to Ames

Kathy Huting

Many organizations on campus are helping out during the holiday season by collecting items for the less fortunate.

Give Some Warmth is a project in conjunction with Winterfest 2007 focused on providing winter clothing for families this winter.

Starting last Wednesday, donations of scarves, gloves, hats and coats began. Donations can be made at boxes in the Memorial Union, several buildings on campus and 20 different fraternity and sorority houses. Items can be new or used, as long as they are in good condition.

The items collected go to Beloit Residential Treatment Center, Youth and Shelter Services, Inc. and Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support shelters in Ames. All of the boxes will be picked up Dec. 8.

The project is a collaboration between Winterfest, Student Alumni Leadership Council, Student Volunteer Services, Circle K, Government of Student Body and Veishea.

Greek chapters are used as a main sources for donations because of the visibility it gives philanthropy by having boxes directly inside chapter houses, said Shallee Keenan, Winterfest co-chairwoman, Veishea Campus and Community Involvement co-chairwoman and senior in sociology.

“Philanthropy is always important, and it’s essential for people to have these items at this time of year,” Keenan said. “Some are not as fortunate, so it’s good to give whatever you can.”

Greek chapters at Iowa State emphasize the importance of philanthropy. Alpha Sigma Phi is a fraternity with one of the donation boxes.

Second-year retention rates for students in the 10 Where to donate on campus:

Gerdin Business Building

Ross Hall

Curtiss Hall

Food Sciences Building

Kildee Hall

Lagomarcino Hall

MacKay Hall

Gilman Hall

LeBaron Hall

Parks Library

Durham Center

Molecular Biology Building

Maple-Willow-Larch Commons

Design Center

Howe Hall

Beardshear Hall

Carver Hall

Memorial Union

UDCC/Friley Hall

“Not a lot of people realize how difficult it is to be out in the cold if you are less fortunate and you don’t have warm clothes,” said Andrew Krull, Alpha Sigma Phi service chairman and sophomore in chemistry. “It’s important to get a different perspective.”

Gina Ambrose, SALC Ambassadors Committee member and senior in marketing, was involved with the project.

“From December to January, there aren’t a lot of philanthropies, and this doesn’t take a lot of work,” Ambrose said. “Last year wasn’t a good turnout, but all of the boxes I’ve seen this year have been full.”

Nicole Duffy, SVS special events chairwoman and junior in elementary education, was responsible for the initial process of organizing the project. She said that her own family has a lot of things that they would normally throw out because the clothing gets worn out, but rather than throwing away these items, it is beneficial to help out the community.

“There’s a lot of people that just don’t have the money to buy new winter clothes,” Duffy said. “This project is an outlet to place those goods that students don’t want or don’t use.”