Planning ahead helps prevent pregnancy

Karla Walsh

There may come a time when you are unsure about using birth control.

Although it can be difficult to discuss with your partner, it is much better to have a plan than to be left with an even trickier decision involving a child later on.

If you are a female resident of Iowa and have a birth certificate, you can get free birth control from Planned Parenthood. Plansmart is a program that is run by Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa that has been created to help females receive what they need to protect their reproductive well-being.

Planned Parenthood provides counseling, exams, STD and pregnancy tests, birth control and other options as a part of its “family planning services.”

Kathi DiNicola, director of marketing and communication for Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa, believes there are many benefits in being proactive about sexual health.

“The Plansmart program is a powerful opportunity for low- to moderate-income women to receive birth control for free,” DiNicola said. “Prevention is more responsible and less expensive than paying for a high-risk pregnancy.”

College students often have trouble working full-time jobs and attending classes, so incomes are generally lower for students. A common birth control method – the pill – costs anywhere from $15 to $35 each month. The Plansmart program is available for women ages 13 to 44. For more information, visit PlanSmartToday.org.

“Being a full partner in your health care is key. Take advantage of available opportunities, ask questions and do research,” DiNicola said.

Males can receive full aid at Planned Parenthood, but they are not covered under Plansmart. Men can receive services on a sliding-scale fee based on their incomes.

Some college students aren’t prepared when the time comes to protect themselves. Almost all students do not aim to have a child during school, but many individuals believe that the other partner is responsible for the protection.

Nicholas Sterner, sophomore in animal science, said he thinks both are responsible.

However, Livia Berg, senior in health and human performance, believes that females should take charge in most situations.

“I think if it is a long-term relationship, girls should be responsible. They are the one who has to deal with the baby more directly if they get pregnant,” Berg said.

If you are considering switching or beginning a new birth control method, speak with your doctor before making any decisions. Here is a quick overview of some options that are available and their effectiveness rates.

Male condom: A barrier method that is available over the counter and made of sheep skin, rubber or plastic. It is worn over the penis. Spermicide use is recommended for women when men use condoms. Latex condoms offer moderate protection from some STDs.

Failure rates:

Perfect use: 3 in 100 females become pregnant

Typical use: 14 in 100 females become pregnant

Female condom: A barrier method that is a tube of polyurethane with rings on each end – one open, one closed. It is inserted into the vagina and the closed end collects sperm. The open end remains outside the body. Female condoms provide moderate protection against STDs and HIV.

Failure rates:

Perfect use: 5 in 100 females become pregnant

Typical use: 21 in 100 females become pregnant

The birth control shot: A prescription shot that is applied every 12 weeks. It is a hormonal method that inhibits ovary release. The shot provides no protection against STDs.

Failure rate: 3 in 1000 females become pregnant during the first year of use

Diaphragm: A prescription barrier method that is a shallow cup that is inserted to cover the cervix before intercourse. Spermicide should be applied in the dome-shaped cup before insertion. Diaphragms protect against some STDs including chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Failure rates:

Perfect use: 2 in 100 females become pregnant

Typical use: 6 in 100 females become pregnant

Female sterilization/essure: A small, flexible, non-hormonal device is implanted into each fallopian tube. Tissue later grows over the device to block the tube.

Failure rate: Nearly 100 percent effective

The Intrauterine Device: A prescription method that includes copper or a natural hormone. IUDs are inserted into the uterus by a clinician, where they prevent egg fertilization. They can remain in the body for one to 12 years depending on the brand. The IUD provides no protection from STDs.

Failure rate: 2 in 100 females become pregnant

Fertility awareness/periodic abstinence: This is not a product, but a method. You must understand your fertility pattern. Fertility awareness encourages barrier methods of birth control during the most fertile days and periodic abstinence involves abstaining from sex during the most fertile days. This method does not protect against STDs.

Failure rate: 25 in 100 females become pregnant

The pill: A prescription, hormonal method of birth control that involves taking a monthly series of pills. The pill works by either preventing ovulation or preventing the sperm from joining the egg. The pill can also prevent implantation of the egg in the uterus. The pill does not protect against STDs.

Failure rate

Perfect use: Less than 1 in 100 females become pregnant

Typical use: 5 in 100 females become pregnant

The patch: A prescription, hormonal method that releases a daily dose of hormones into the bloodstream. It is left in place for one week and then replaced, and applied for three weeks each month. The patch provides no protection from STDs.

Failure rate: 1 in 100 females become pregnant

The ring: A flexible ring is inserted into the vagina for three weeks each month that releases hormones. No daily doses are required. The ring provides no protection from STDs.

Spermicide: A barrier method that is inserted deep into the vagina just before intercourse to immobilize sperm. It is available in cream, jelly, film, foam and suppository forms. Spermicide may protect against some STDs including gonorrhea and chlamydia. Use with a condom is recommended.

Failure rates

Perfect use: 6 in 100 females become pregnant

Typical use: 26 in 100 females become pregnant

Sterilization: A permanent, surgical method that blocks the fallopian tubes (in females, known as tubal sterilization) or the vas deferens (in males, known as a vasectomy). Sterilization is permanent and can rarely be reversed. Neither protect against STDs.

Failure rate

Vasectomy: 2 in 1,000 will cause a pregnancy the first year post-surgery

Tubal sterilization: 5 in 1,000 females become pregnant the first year, 1 in 100 females become pregnant each year after

– Information compiled from the Planned Parenthood Web site