Small lifestyle changes make weight loss easier

Karla Walsh

It doesn’t take running a marathon or eating only celery sticks to lose weight.

In fact, for some, big changes in habits can be unhealthy. Small, yet beneficial, changes in diet and exercise routines can have a large impact on your health.

If changes are made steadily over time – rather than all at once – you are more likely to stick with them. Here are 10 small changes you can make that, over time, can add up to big results.

1. Switch from iceberg lettuce to dark leafy greens.

Dark, leafy greens – such as arugula, kale, romaine lettuce, collard greens, watercress and bok choy – have much more nutritional value than plain old iceberg lettuce. These vegetables have many health benefits including being high in fiber, calcium, folic acid, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium and phosphorus. They are also good sources of vitamins C, E, K and beta carotene.

This switch can be made easily in many dishes that are currently in your diet. Try adding dark, leafy vegetables to your soups, salads, sandwiches, wraps, pasta dishes or stir-frys.

2. Wash your hands before leaving the gym.

Studies have found that people who work out regularly are more likely to get a cold or flu virus than their sedentary counterparts. Logically, any time that people gather together in a small space and touch similar objects, germs are spread. Think of how many people have touched your free weights or cardio machine after rubbing their eyes or noses.

Don’t let these facts keep you from the gym. Germs can easily be avoided by sanitizing machines before and after use and washing your hands on the way out of the gym. Make sure to wash before your hands hit your steering wheel or keys, because then the germs will have made their way onto your turf.

3. Check how many servings of each food group you should eat each day.

People of different ages, genders and activity levels require varying amounts of each food group in their daily diets. Go to Mypyramid.gov and click on the “My Pyramid Plan” link. Enter your age, sex and activity level, and the United States Department of Agriculture will sort out how much of each food group you should consume each day.

Judith Trumpy, licensed and registered dietitian and nutritional therapist at Thielen Student Health Center, said she has found many students are not meeting their “five-a-day” goal for fruits and vegetables.

“Some people aren’t getting even one vegetable serving in their daily diets. This is especially a problem for those who eat out often or rely on frozen entrees for their meals,” Trumpy said.

Knowing how many servings you should consume is an easier way to keep track of overall consumption than keeping a food diary or counting calories. This plan gives you a general idea of a healthy diet for you and also encourages variety each day.

4. Take the stairs rather than the elevator.

Climbing the stairs to your class, apartment or dorm room is an easy way to increase activity in your daily schedule. This requires no extra equipment and is great for toning your lower body. A study done in 1980 by Brownell, Stunkard and Albaum found that if a person climbs two extra flights of stairs every day, in one year he or she can lose 5.9 pounds.

Stair climbing may save you time as well, because by the time the elevator reaches your floor, the doors close and you stop at other floors for your fellow travelers – you could have made it up to your floor by walking.

Add variety and tone different muscles by alternating climbing one flight one step at a time and the next flight two steps at a time.

5. Sleep 30 minutes more each night.

Sleep is often hard to come by as a college student. You may be thinking that it is more important to study for your exam or party with your friends, but are you putting your health in danger?

A study done at the University of Chicago found that people who sleep less are more likely to be overweight. Low levels of sleep are linked to decreased ability to process carbohydrates and lower metabolic rates. Cortisol, an important stress hormone found in the body, is found in high amounts in the sleep-deprived.

Eve Van Cauter, professor of medicine at the University of Chicago and the study’s leader, explains that the correlation between low levels of sleep and weight gain is quite complex. She believes that the cortisol may spark a physiological response to gain weight.

Also, the lack of energy could possibly make the brain think that the body needs more calories, even though it has had enough.

6. Carry around healthy snacks

After a full day of hectic classes, many students are tempted to hit the vending machines for a snack. Generally, food provided in the vending machines is processed and not the healthiest choice. Packing a few snacks in your bag will keep your metabolism reved up.

Trumpy said some vending machines do carry healthier options, but most times they are more costly than their less-healthy counterparts.

The best snacks are a combination of carbohydrates, protein, and a little fat.

7. Rather than drinking regular soda, switch to diet – or even better, water.

Regular soda includes the sweetener high fructose corn syrup, which Trumpy said some blame for the obesity epidemic in America.

“High fructose corn syrup does not contain any more calories than regular sugar, but it still increases daily caloric intake,” Trumpy said.

Studies done with high fructose corn syrup have found that it increase the fats in the blood’s triglycerides.

Liquid calories in soda are “empty,” meaning they have no nutritional value and often fail to fill you up. Switching to diet soda allows you to still get your fix but without the calories. Diet soda, however, does not allow you reckless abandon in other areas of your diet.

“Some people think that just because they are drinking diet soda, that they can eat more to make up for the calories,” Trumpy said.

If you are interested in losing weight, total caloric intake needs to be decreased. Water is a great source for hydration, has no calories and is great for skin. Companies now sell packets to flavor water without calories which may make your daily quota of water more enjoyable.

8. Sick of studying in your room? Pack your bags and change the venue.

Sitting in your room all night studying can be very monotonous, and you may even fall asleep, deterring your study efforts. Pack up your reading or notes you are studying and head to the Rec. You can walk on the treadmill or bike and still get studying done. It is a great way to multitask.

Some say that studying takes your mind off the exercising, and it may not be as beneficial. But anything is better than nothing when it comes to exercise.

Many people need a diversion when they are working out, or else they will get bored. If having something else to focus on persuades you to head to the gym, go for it.

9. Try olive oil rather than butter.

Olive oil has many health benefits including being cholesterol free, rich in many vitamins that prevent aging and is a great source of healthy fats. Olive oil has also been found to reduce cardiovascular disease when consumed in place of other fat sources.

A study published in the July 2003 International Journal of Obesity found when people were served olive oil rather than butter with their bread they consumed less bread. However, they used more of the fat source than the butter users.

Olive oil is still the healthier choice; just watch portion sizes with any type of fat source if you are watching your calorie and fat intake.

Trumpy noted anytime you substitute healthier fats for saturated fats you are benefiting your diet.

“Healthier fats are the better choice, but small amounts of any food is okay. Having a pat of butter every so often is fine,” Trumpy said.

Eating a little fat with your salad is also a good choice. In a study done at Iowa State, it was found that all of the important nutrients in vegetables are better absorbed when eaten with a little fat. Not much fat is needed, but drizzling your salad or making vinaigrette with olive oil may be a smart choice when eating a salad.