Cyclones tie with Huskers for fifth at Big 12 Relays

Matt Gubbels

LINCOLN, Neb. – In a meet that is composed entirely of relays, the teams with the most depth usually finish the highest.

This was the case at the Big 12 Relays on Friday at Devaney Natatorium in Lincoln, Neb., as the Texas A&M Aggies finished first with a total of 115 points, winning almost every event. The ISU swimming and diving team, which does not have much depth, finished with 41 points, tying Nebraska for fifth place.

The Cyclones were led by a pair of second-place finishes by sophomore Haley Haynes and freshman Tien Tran in the 1-meter and 3-meter springboard competitions. The diving events were even done relay style in this meet, with each team having six dives, and the two divers for each team taking three of the six dives.

Diving coach Jeff Warrick said he was pleased with his divers’ performance.

“I was really happy with how they did,” Warrick said. “They were very consistent and just solid overall.”

Haynes and Tran finished with 228.7 points on the 1-meter board and 245.8 points on the 3-meter board.

“I was hoping to be midway in the pack, and we finished second, which is a little better,” Warrick said.

“I certainly was not surprised, yet it was just a good performance by them.”

In the swimming events, the highest Cyclone placing was third place by the team of junior Krista Fehl, sophomore Marni Benson and freshman Lindsey Behrens in the 300-meter breaststroke relay in a time of 3:21.91.

The Cyclones also had fourth-place finishes in the 200-meter freestyle relay and the 150-meter breaststroke relay, with the same team that swam the 300 relay and the 100-meter freestyle relay.

Freshman Frances Calzada, who swam on both the 200 and 100 freestyle relays as well as several other events, said she was surprised with the meet.

“It was not what I expected, but I felt really good at the same time,” Calzada said.

Swimming coach Duane Sorenson said he thought the team performed well.

“I thought we really raced well and that was one of the things that we wanted to do,” Sorenson said. “Overall, I was very pleased with our performance.”

The Cyclones return to action at 6 p.m. Friday with their home opener at Beyer Pool for a dual meet with South Dakota State University.