Self-Defense

Karla Walsh

It won’t happen to me.

Many people feel this way about a variety of things, but Erin Weed is on a crusade to erase this feeling from assault.

Weed visited the ISU campus Monday where she presented a lecture about her personal experience relating to assault and how individuals can protect themselves from similar situations.

While in college at Eastern Illinois University, one of Weed’s sorority sisters was killed near campus. This event led Weed to a career of speaking, writing and working toward safety and empowerment for women.

Weed opened and owns the only women’s self-defense studio in New Jersey called “Girls Fight Back!,” which is also the title of her book that arrives in bookstores this month. Weed has had extensive training in self-defense, personal training and martial arts.

Kris Olds, Story County Sexual Assault Response Team coordinator, was glad to have Weed lecture at Iowa State.

“Her material is particularly applicable to students in college. Her message encourages being proactive rather than reactive,” Olds said.

During her lecture, Weed said after the murder of her friend, she was quite paranoid.

“I realized after a while that I wasn’t doing anything to make myself safer, only things that will make me feel better,” Weed said.

Some of her recommendations for staying safe include watching out for friends, staying in groups, being aware of surroundings and walking without using your cell phone.

Weed also noticed after many of her initial lectures and instructional training sessions that people wished for more information on self-defense. That is what prompted her to write her first book.

Andrea Weare, graduate student in journalism and mass communication, said she attended Weed’s lecture because she wanted to learn more about how to keep herself and others around her safe.

“If there was a self-defense class, I would take it. I don’t think there are enough studios around that teach self-defense,” Weare said. “It would be great if there were more resources available.”

There are a few classes that involve self-defense techniques on campus, including hapkido and tae kwon do/karate, but there is not one focused solely on self-defense.

Many books can be found about proper self-defense techniques, and moves are included in Weed’s book as well.

The title of the program speaks to “girls.” However, assault is not a problem that only involves females.

Angie Schreck, sexual assault services coordinator for Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support, said it is an issue for both sexes.

“Most reported assaults come from female victims, but it is an issue for both males and females,” Schreck said. “People can be involved crossing lines themselves or letting assault happen knowingly to others.”

According to the ISU Sexual Assault Response Team Web site, there were 67 cases of assault reported during 2005 in Story County. 28 percent of these cases were involving students.

Alcohol is the most common drug used for date rapes on the ISU campus. Schreck said a plan for safety should be made in all situations in which alcohol could be involved.

Olds recommends students be aware of their surroundings at all times to stay safe.

“Most assaults that are reported to us are acquaintance assaults [meaning that the victim knew the perpetrator beforehand]. Assault can happen on campus or in social situations. It can help to keep an eye out for your friends,” Olds said.

Weed said victims are “four times more likely to know the attacker than for the attacker to be a stranger.”

Reporting shortly after the incident is best so that medical exams and other determining factors can be made.

“The first 48 hours are the most critical for reporting assault,” Olds said.

If you were involved in an incident of assault, contact SART at 29-ALERT (292-5378), the ISU Department of Public Safety or any medical facility, and they will assist you with your options.