Weekday Workout

Karla Walsh

Now that students are back in the swing of school, fitness often gets placed on the back burner. The pounds can creep on easily if waistlines go unwatched. Registered dietitian and food science and nutrition associate professor Wendy White said there are many reasons for this phenomenon.

“There are abundant food choices in the dorm dining centers. Students often have hectic schedules, and they commonly snack when they are up late at night studying,” White said.

Time, money and space are resources that are often sparse for college students. The recreation services at Iowa State are ample, but sometimes busy students cannot spare the time for a trip to the rec.

The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research has found that short, quick workouts may actually help improve fitness more than long, steady workouts performed all at once. This may be because short bursts of activity have been shown to allow more effort, and participants can rest in between.

Stephanie Eichler, coordinator of fitness programs for Recreation Services, said the best way to keep unwanted pounds off is to move as much as possible during your normal routine.

“Rather than driving, riding the bus, sitting in class then going to work out, you will feel a lot better if you sustain activity all day long. This doesn’t need to be formal exercise, just try to walk and move as much as possible,” Eichler said.

Elaborate equipment in the dorms or cramped apartments leave little room for a bed. Over-scheduled individuals can squeeze in mini-workouts within their busy agendas, and equipment for this workout can all fit in a backpack.

This exercise routine, approved by Eichler, can be done conveniently around campus.

//

Central Campus:

1. Pack a flying disc, find some bored strangers or friends and start up a game of Ultimate.

Areas worked: heart, arms and legs

2. With or without the weight of your backpack, skip from Beardshear Hall to Curtiss Hall. Strap on your bag tightly if you plan to use the weight. Others may stare or give you weird looks, but you will be the one laughing when you are toned!

Areas worked: heart and legs

3. Pack a towel, and do some yoga to relax and stretch after that long test or class. After extended periods of sitting, a good pose is the pigeon. Begin at the top of a pushup position and bring one bent leg forward, as the other leg stays straight behind. Lower your body to the ground. Your legs should resemble a figure “4.” Lower your torso down to the ground, and hold for this position for 15 to 30 seconds. Sway to stretch the entire muscle.

Area worked: hips

Waiting in line at lunch:

4. Toe raises are relatively discreet if you want to hide a good workout. Simply stand straight and put the weight on your toes as you roll on to your tiptoes and flex your calves. Lower back to the floor, and repeat 10 to 12 times.

Area worked: calves

*To add in balance and core work, try one leg at a time.

5. Squats can be especially effective if done with weights. Pack your heavy books, bend your knees and lower your buns as if sitting in a chair. Hold for two counts and stand back up. Be sure to keep your knees behind your toes. Repeat 10 to 12 times.

Area worked: buns

6. Shoulders getting tired holding your bag? Try bicep curls or tricep extensions and take the pressure off your back. For bicep curls, take off your bag. Hold one strap with each hand in front of your body. Start with your arms parallel to your body and lift the bag, bending your elbows. Slowly lower the bag until your arms are straight again. Repeat 10 to 12 times. For tricep extensions, carefully raise the bag over your head with straight arms, one strap in each hand. Keeping your upper arms straight, lower the bag toward your back, bending at the elbows. Raise the bag back up until your arms are straight. Repeat 10 to 12 times.

Areas worked: biceps and triceps

Walking to class:

7. Lunges can be done walking on any sidewalk across campus. Step one leg forward and bend your forward knee, while simultaneously lowering the back knee. Be sure to keep your front knee behind your toes. Alternate legs like you are walking. Utilizing the weight from your book bag will increase the leg and balance work.

Areas worked: legs, buns and core

8. This isn’t an extra move to learn, but purchasing a pedometer and recording daily steps can be motivation to move more throughout the day. Walking rather than taking the bus to class can burn many calories. Aim to reach 10,000 steps each day or find a baseline step count and strive to make more steps each month.

Areas worked: heart and legs

9. Pass up the elevator and take the stairs. Alternate taking one step at a time and two steps at a time to work different leg muscles.

Areas worked: heart and legs