Art to combine with science in Berstein lecture

Karla Walsh

Science and art have long been considered abilities on opposite hemispheres of the brain. However, one professor said they may have more in common than originally thought.

Robert Root-Bernstein, professor of physiology at Michigan State University, will give a lecture titled “The Art of Scientists” Wednesday at Kocimski Auditorium in the College of Design Building. Bernstein will cover how art has influenced his biomedical research and how it has changed the path of science as a whole.

Scientists Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin and Louis Pasteur, among others, have created art that reflected their scientific studies. Root-Bernstein will address some of these other scientists during his lecture.

FASTTRAK

What: “The Art of Scientists:” Lecture by Robert Root-Bernstein

Where: Kocimski Auditorium in the College of Design Building

When: 7 p.m. Wednesday

Cost: Free

Brenda Daly, interim director of the Center for Excellence in Arts and Humanities, said this presentation has many connections at Iowa State.

“This lecture is part of the Donald R. Benson series. Benson was a teacher in the English department here at Iowa State, and he taught a course in literature, science and the arts,” Daly said.

Root-Bernstein is an author, inventor and artist, as well. His research has led him to nine patents and five works of art based on his scientific studies. He was awarded the MacArthur Fellowship in 1981, which is known as the “genius grant.”

“It is one of the most prestigious creativity awards in the country,” Daly said.

During Root-Bernstein’s visit, he will give a seminar in molecular biology for students and faculty from 3:10 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.

He is also speaking as part of the “Breaking the Creative Barriers: The Arts and Sciences in Collaboration” series in the design building.

Dennis Dake, professor of art and design, hosted Root-Bernstein in his ArtIS 311, Contemporary Issues in Studio Art, class Tuesday. Students in the course have done some research on the collaboration of art and science, and Root-Bernstein followed up on the student reports.

“Art and science are usually thought of as separate, but there is a historic link. Back in the Renaissance, there was no clear distinction between art and science, and that is reflected in the work of individuals like Da Vinci,” Dake said.

Nicholas VanBerkum, senior in art and design, is one of Dake’s students and recently put together a report about the mixture of art and science.

“I’m really looking forward to hearing [Root-Bernstein] speak. It is interesting to see how some artists hate science, while other artists use science a lot in their work and tie concepts together,” VanBerkum said.

ISU students’ work combining art and science is on display until Sunday at the Octagon Center for the Arts, 427 Douglas Ave.