Gardens’ Garage Sale offers old display items

Karla Walsh

Spring officially began Monday, and now is a perfect time to begin outdoor activities. Even for students without gardens of their own, Reiman Gardens has an option for all seeking to begin or build on the garden of their dreams.

Reiman Gardens will be holding their first “Gardens Garage Sale” Saturday at the gardens’ “garage,” which is located in the maintenance building in the parking lot. The limited storage space at the gardens has triggered the sale, at which attendees can purchase props that the gardens have used in past displays.

Among items for sale will be columns, wreaths, sculptures, flower pots and many other rare objects to dress up garden displays. All are welcome to come explore the garden’s used objects available for purchase.

FASTTRAK

What: Gardens’ Garage Sale

When: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday

Where: Reiman Gardens maintenance building

Cost: Free

Lisa Orgler, Reiman Gardens assistant director for planning and programs, said that although this is the first year for the sale, garden employees hope for a large turnout.

“Many visitors to the gardens have asked, ‘How can I get items like you use in your displays?’ Now, they have a chance to get props that they have admired for their own gardens at home,” Orgler said.

Reiman Gardens is a year-round, 14-acre site that includes 11 distinct gardens, five supporting greenhouses, an indoor conservatory, a 2,500-square-foot indoor butterfly wing and a butterfly emergence case.

Rachael Cox, freshman in agronomy, said despite the barriers to gardening that come from living in a dorm, the sale still seems like something that would be worthwhile for students to explore.

“I keep a few plants in my dorm room, but it is hard sometimes as a student with limited space. I think that this sale would be a good way for many community members with their own lawns, however, to buy garden supplies,” she said.

Cox also said that with her family membership, she has attended Reiman Gardens many times.

“I have purchased at Reiman’s plant sales in the past, and this one seems like it may have good options, too,” Cox said.

Orgler is unsure what will happen to items that go unsold. She said most likely they will end up being sold at future sales. The proceeds from the Gardens’ Garage Sale will go toward future horticulture displays on the Reiman Gardens grounds.

“Our goal is always to keep our displays new, fresh and exciting, and this sale will allow us more room for our latest display items,” Orgler said.

Reiman Gardens is located at 1407 Elwood Drive.