Rec services online agency creates ‘free agent’ demand

Elliott Fifer

The term “free agent” has earned a whole new meaning at Iowa State this semester.

Although most students associate free agency with million-dollar contracts and professional athletes, the intramural department is offering students the chance to become free agents themselves this spring when they register for intramural sports.

Linda Marticke, program coordinator for Recreation Services, said online free agent registration started last December. Prior to that, free agents looking to join an intramural team needed to go to State Gym and post their name on a bulletin board outside of the Rec services office.

Marticke said that the online system is better than the old system.

“The old free-agent system, where you filled out a slip of paper and posted it at State Gym . was not as effective as the online system,” she said.

Marticke also said she believes the online system will be popular in the future for students in search of an intramural team because it is easier to use.

“I have had students indicate that it is much easier to enter information online than to come over to State Gym,” Marticke said. “Also, more captains will see the information online.”

Students have already seen the improved free-agent system in action and have liked the timeliness the system has delivered.

Gretchen Deuel, freshman in pre-journalism and mass communication, registered as a free agent for ice hockey and was picked up within a week by a team.

“I thought it was a lot more convenient than having to go to an office somewhere,” she said. “It was nice to get on the Internet and not have to worry about it after that.”

Ross Wilderman, graduate student in molecular biology, said the online registration process was an efficient way to find an intramural team.

“I registered one afternoon and probably four hours later I had a telephone call [from a team captain],” he said. “The next morning I had three e-mails from different team captains.”

Garry Greenlee, intramural sport coordinator, said it’s clear that online registration will make the whole intramural process easier.

“There is no doubt that by next year – once we have been through a cycle – that online registration will be easier for us as programmers, as well as for the students to enter teams,” Greenlee said.

Students that register as free agents are asked to give their name, phone number and a short description of their experience with which sport they are signing up for.

Greenlee said although there is no way of tracking how well it is working, the majority of students that have registered as a free agent have found a team.

To register as a free agent or for more information on intramural sports, go to www.recservices.iastate.edu and click on the intramurals tab.