Cyclones hope freshmen continue strong showing

Pat Brown

Wednesday’s win over Missouri signified much more than breaking a four-game losing streak for the ISU women’s basketball team.

The Cyclones have grown up, and in a hurry.

“We’ve gained some confidence; different people are stepping up,” senior Brittany Wilkins said of the freshmen. “Every game somebody is picking up a little more slack.”

Iowa State hopes its newfound maturity will help it against Kansas State (17-5, 7-4 Big 12) Saturday afternoon, as it is still unknown whether star Lyndsey Medders will return from a sprained foot injury. ISU coach Bill Fennelly said she will be a game-time decision if she’s cleared by doctors to practice.

One thing’s for sure: With or without Medders, the Cyclones will be ready on Saturday, and that’s impressed Wilkins.

“It takes some special people to figure that out right away,” Wilkins said. “It took me a couple of years. For them to step up is a big confidence builder for our team.”

Fennelly said he is just as impressed with freshmen Heather Ezell, Amanda Nisleit, Nicky Wieben and Gillian Bjerke.

“They understand a little bit more what’s expected of them, and they’ve done it with Britt [Wilkins] and Megan [Ronhovde] helping them,” he said. “Hopefully when Lyndsey comes back, we keep going, and not say, ‘Oh Lyndsey’s back, let’s watch her.’

“I don’t think that will happen.”

Medders, who was recently voted to the District VII Academic All-America second team, has not played since the Cyclones lost to the Wildcats on Jan. 29. That’s when the team started its maturation process.

“You could see it progress,” Wilkins said. “Nebraska was a little shaky. Then the second half against Kansas was solid. Then we were fired up and ready to roll against Missouri.”

While on the bench, Medders has still played a key role for the Cyclones, helping her teammates navigate the court through coach-like observations, but Fennelly said he isn’t ready for her to trade sneakers for stilettos just yet.

“You couldn’t have asked for any more than she’s given us,” he said. “She looks nice, and she’s a good coach, but she’s a hell of a lot better player.

“We need her to play for a while before she gets into the next phase of her life.”

At this point, Ezell said the return of Medders would just make the Cyclones more lethal rather than cause a relapse into old habits.

“Winning a game without Lyndsey [Medders] gave us a lot of confidence,” she said. “If Lyndsey [Medders] can play, it gives us even more.”

Iowa State isn’t out of the woods yet, however, as the Wildcats are fourth in the Big 12, but just one game out of second place. The Cyclones said they plan on using what they learned in their previous 73-64 loss to Kansas State.

“We let them get to the middle way too easy,” Wilkins said. “If we can stop that, it will make a lot of things easier for us.”

Ezell, who dished out a freshman-record 13 assists on Saturday, said Iowa State needs to avoid being swept.

“We know we can beat them,” Ezell said. “We got embarrassed at our place, so hopefully we can go in there and defend a little bit better.”

The Cyclones have lost three straight games in Manhattan. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m.