ISU students sound off about Berryman

Pat Brown and Grant Wall / S

Sometimes “college life” and being a student athlete don’t mix.

ISU defensive end Jason Berryman received a citation early Sunday morning at Club Element, 2401 Chamberlain St., for being a minor on the premises. He was dismissed from the ISU football team Tuesday afternoon.

Berryman is currently on probation for earlier theft and assault convictions.

Some ISU students said Berryman was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, and didn’t do anything other students don’t also do.

“I think when you’re an athlete you have to realize people are going to recognize you,” said Josh Parcel, senior in accounting, economics and marketing. “While it may be unfortunate, you probably have to avoid those situations.”

Berryman didn’t avoid the situation, however, and was cited when the police were called to Element to break up a fight, said Ames Police Cmdr. Randy Kessel. Berryman was not involved in the fight.

Katie Kotz, junior in agricultural studies, said Berryman was acting like a typical college student, but was noticed more because he is also an athlete. She said that she does not think he should have been kicked off the football team.

“He should be able to stay on the team, but be suspended for a few games next season,” she said.

After spending 258 days in jail for theft and assault, Berryman was released and was allowed by ISU coach Dan McCarney to return to the football team. Berryman worked his way back up the depth chart, starting all 12 games last season at defensive end.

“Not his best move considering what he’s already gone through,” said Alan Todd, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication. “Still, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why should he be punished for that?”

Not all ISU students agree, especially since Berryman was already given a second chance.

“He should have known better,” said Ben Lyons, senior in psychology. “He was walking a pretty thin line.”

Adam Rix, senior in anthropology, said it’s Berryman’s own fault for being in the situation, and he should have been much more careful.

“If you’re walking the fine line because you’re really going to get in trouble, I don’t know why you’d want to chance it,” he said.

“I think he’s an idiot,” said Nicholas Decker, freshman in civil engineering. “I can understand helping people out, but after a while it’s hard to help someone.”

Parcel said the events should be treated separately, considering the citation is a municipal infraction, not a criminal offense.

The ticket, which costs $150, does not go on a criminal record.

“He may have learned a lot from his time in jail, and may have avoided a lot of situations,” Parcel said. “I hoped he would have avoided something like this, too.”

In the end, echoing some of his fellow students, Parcel said Berryman was simply living the typical college life. The difference, however, is that Berryman is on probation, which could spell trouble with the law.