Sophomore ups confidence, ups play in past two games

Pat Brown

It was definitely a long time coming.

Sophomore Lisa Bildeaux didn’t see a lot of time her freshman year on the ISU women’s basketball team, averaging 3.2 points in 12 games played.

This season, she has already doubled her number of games played – 24 – including four starts, averaging 8.7 points and almost six rebounds per game. Plus, she leads the team in blocks this season with 42.

The past two games, however, have defined her effort as a Cyclone.

Bildeaux has recorded a double-double in two consecutive games, logging 22 points and 10 rebounds against Texas Tech and 10 points and 11 rebounds against Kansas.

She said it’s about time.

“After the Texas Tech game, I gained a lot of confidence,” Bildeaux said. “Before that, I don’t know what was happening. Maybe something inside me just snapped.

“Coach [Bill Fennelly] is always talking to us, teaching us life lessons, and the things he says, I really think about.”

Bildeaux, senior Brittany Wilkins and freshman Nicole Wieben are the main factors in Iowa State’s inside game, and both underclassmen had to learn the ropes quickly this season.

Wilkins said they’ve done that, and more.

“I’m very proud of both of them for stepping up,” she said. “We’re all there for each other, and we know the influence we can have on our team.”

Bildeaux has continued to earn the respect of her coaches and teammates by her hard work in practice – hard work that appears to be paying off for her in games.

“Lisa has definitely stepped up,” Fennelly said. “She’s a lot better, she has a lot more confidence and her teammates have a lot of confidence in her.”

That confidence is something Bildeaux said is instrumental to the success of a college basketball program, especially when the team needs to win.

“Everybody has to have confidence in themselves, but I think it’s really important as a team to have confidence in your teammates,” she said. “I’m confident when I have the ball, and I’m confident to kick it out to Lyndsey [Medders], Heather [Ezell] or Megan [Ronhovde], that they’re going to shoot it and make it.”

The confidence continues to roll, snowballing until a team plays its best basketball at the right time.

“The energy you put on the court is contagious,” Bildeaux said. “One person makes a good play, and the crowd gets into it.”

A solid two games is good, but Fennelly said the Cyclones can’t afford to let it end there. They need more gaudy numbers – more confidence.

“We’re looking for consistency, and we’re looking for her to get more physical, but I’m very proud of what she’s done,” he said. “She’s taken advantage of the minutes she’s gotten.”

Those are minutes highly valued by Bildeaux, and she has plenty of gratitude for those who have helped her earn time on the court.

“It’s meant a lot to me,” she said. “It’s something that you look back and can owe it to so many people. Right now, it’s my teammates and my coaches. Coming here and being a Division 1 player is a dream come true, and playing in the NCAA tournament last year was a dream come true.”

Things appear to be on their way up for the sophomore.

“It’s a good sign for her future,” Fennelly said.

“She has two years left, and hopefully that’s something that will motivate her in the off-season.”

Still, does Fennelly expect a double-double in every game she plays, from now until graduation?

“Not expecting it,” Fennelly joked. “I’m hoping though. I’m hoping.”