Iowa State wrestling shows a pair of strong performances on day one of the NCAA Championships

Iowa State then-redshirt sophomore Jarrett Degen makes a move on his opponent during the dual against Missouri on Feb. 24.

Zane Douglas

Iowa State wrestling had a couple of strong performances on day one of the NCAA Championships and sits at No. 11 in team points.

At 149-pounds, redshirt sophomore Jarrett Degen advanced to the quarterfinals by defeating No. 25 Russell Rohlfing of California State Bakersfield, and he followed by winning against No. 9 Justin Oliver of North Carolina State. Degen came in as the 8 seed in the tournament which meant he was favored in his two matchups, but his match against Oliver required a late takedown to seal an 11-8 victory by decision.

Redshirt sophomore Sam Colbray saw similar success with a trip to the quarterfinals that started with a win over No. 23 Jackson Hemauer of Fresno State, and then a win over No. 26 Dakota Geer of Oklahoma State. Colbray was the 10 seed at 184-pounds and will wrestle in the quarterfinals on Friday.

The other seven qualifiers all lost at some point in the first two rounds and were sent to the consolation bracket.

At 133-pounds, redshirt freshman Austin Gomez advanced past No. 20 Brandon Paetzell of Lehigh but then was shutout in a close 1-0 dual against No. 4 Micky Phillippi of Pittsburgh. He’ll face No. 19 Josh Terao of American University on Saturday in the consolation bracket.

At 197-pounds, redshirt senior Willie Miklus earned the 6 seed and advanced past No. 27 Joshua Roetman of Navy in the first round but lost to No. 11 Christian Brunner in the second round. Miklus will face No. 28 Drew Phipps of Bucknell tomorrow.

Redshirt sophomores Alex Mackall, Ian Parker, and Gannon Gremmel have also advanced to the second round of their respective consolation brackets along with redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman and redshirt junior Chase Straw.

The action will continue on Friday morning.