Despite variety of intramurals, basketball still an ISU favorite

Elliott Fifer

Spring semester is back in full swing, bringing with it new classes, new professors and new intramural sports. In addition to all of the new intramural sports being offered this semester, an old favorite – basketball – is still expected to draw one of the biggest crowds.

Garry Greenlee, associate director of Recreation Services, said intramural basketball is in the top five in terms of student involvement at Iowa State, along with softball, flag football, sand volleyball and broomball. Greenlee has been involved in coordinating and scheduling the intramural basketball leagues at Iowa State for 26 years.

“I am expecting 192 men’s teams and 34 women’s teams,” Greenlee said of this year’s intramural basketball enrollment. “It’s amazing from year to year how [similar] the numbers are.”

Intramural basketball offers students of all abilities a chance to play organized, competitive basketball, with a variety of leagues offered based on skill level. Games are timed and score is kept, but Greenlee said he is mostly concerned with providing an activity that allows everyone to relax and have a good time.

“We want to offer something that’s fun,” Greenlee said. “We want to offer something that everyone can compete in and be successful at – that’s why we offer the different skill levels.

“Something for everybody is what we’re all about.”

Returning players are enthusiastic about the sport’s popularity.

“Intramural basketball offers a good combination of competitiveness and fun,” said Ryan Bomgaars, sophomore in animal science, who will participate in intramural basketball for the second time this semester. “Intramurals are a great way to stay both socially and physically active.”

Many students use intramurals not only to stay in shape, but also as a way to meet other students who share the same interests.

“Intramural sports have given me a chance to meet people from different areas of the country that I might not have met otherwise,” said James Barlowe, junior in management. “Many times you find out that the same people you are competing against have similar majors or are in some of your classes.”

Barlowe, who will be participating for the third time, also said he enjoys the challenges basketball brings up, as well.

“The competition is my favorite part,” he said. “It is always fun to play against friends on a more organized level.”

Preliminary games begin on Jan. 19, and each team begins the season with two or three practice games. Games will be played on Sundays from 3 p.m. to 12 p.m. and Mondays through Thursdays from 6 p.m to 12 p.m. Registration for intramural basketball must be done online and closes on Jan. 12 at 5 p.m.

Registration and other information is available online at www.recservices.iastate.edu.