Students give rivalry week opinions

Pat Brown

There isn’t any doubt, at least among some ISU students, that the Iowa State-Iowa matchup is the biggest of the season.

“The Iowa-Iowa State game is obviously, in my eyes, the biggest game of the year,” said Craig Montgomery, senior in construction engineering. “I really want to go out there and win.”

Rivalry week at Iowa State often brings out the fan in all students, and both teams’ apparel seems to be on display more so than normal weeks, according to Montgomery.

“Being at Iowa State, walking around campus and seeing people wearing Iowa shirts, and supporting the Hawkeyes, really gets your blood flowing,” he said. “It makes you want to go out there and beat them bad.”

Justin Umphress, senior in marketing, agreed with Montgomery’s statements.

“I think [the rivalry’s] definitely there,” Umphress said. “It’s huge. It could be May, and there are Iowa people giving you flack about last year.”

Students have been encouraged to wear Iowa State gear all week, a week that has been complete with a “beat Iowa” pep rally. Cyclone captain Tim Dobbins even encouraged fans to be in their “best Cyclone costumes” Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium.

“I think it’s a big rivalry, definitely,” said Chris Anderson, sophomore in liberal arts and sciences — open option. “Iowa State hasn’t won it for a couple of years, so we’re probably going to take it more seriously because we want to win the game.”

The Hawkeyes have won the last two battles for the Cy-Hawk trophy, and hold a 35-17 advantage in the intrastate series. This year’s game is sold out.

“I like to see people getting excited about football games, and the football season,” Umphress said.

Iowa State first met Iowa in 1894 in Iowa City, with Iowa State winning 16-8. The series was played 24 times between 1894 and 1934, when it went on a 43-year hiatus. In 1977, the series picked back up again and has been played every year since.

“We have a lot of people coming up to the game, and it’s going to be a good game,” Montgomery said. “I think there is a chance that the Cyclones are going to come out on top.”

Fans from all sides of the state make the trip to Iowa City or Ames, depending on where the contest is held. The turnout is expected to be so great this year, ISU athletic director Bruce Van De Velde has urged fans to get to the game early in the interest of arriving on time.

Montgomery said a capacity crowd at the stadium plays into the hands of the Cyclones.

“The game being at Jack Trice, there will be a lot of Iowa State fans, but there will be a lot of Iowa fans there too,” Montgomery said. “Coming in here to Ames, I think the Cyclones are going to come out on top.”

Anderson said the rivalry is at its best right now, and the game should be a good one, but Iowa had better watch out.

“Look out, because they’re going to just come in here and expect that they’re just going to win really easy,” he said. “I just think that Iowa State isn’t going to give up without a fight, so look out.”